jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Was wondering how difficult it is to frag zoas. What tools do i need? The rock that the zoas are growing on has bryopsis and its starting to spread. There is 75+ zoas plus 1 ric. Dont want it to spread on any other rock in my tank. If anyone is willing to help me frag, All i want is the ric and about 20 of the zoas. You can can keep rock and rest of 50+ zoas.
Here are some pics of rock:

photo77.jpg
photo.jpg

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
A shallow bowl of tank water.
I use an exacto knife.
Gloves and eye protection.
Paper towels.
Gel type cynocrylate based glue.

Before you do anything read up on how toxic those things can be!

Keep the zoas as moist as possible, they can be out of the water for quite some time but it's beat for them to limit air time. Make sure you wear eye protection and gloves. Try to slice a thin layer of the rock under the zoa. They grow like a mat so once you get started you can cut entire sections if you wish. You don't want to cut the zoa, you want that thin layer of rock with the zoa attached.
As you cut them off throw them in the water.
Dry off a section of rock where you want to glue them to. Glue the thin layer of rock you sliced off under the zoa.
Drink a beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

jcs11236

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
Thanks! I did some research but i just feel bad slicing/fragging them. lol. im going to have to do it though. That bryopsis is starting to spread and get ugly! I bought the rock/zoas from a member with the bryopsis.. Didnt think nothing of it at first until it started spreading. Its starting to grow over some of the zoas

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
You won't be cutting the zoa. Slice a thin layer of rock under the zoa. If you slice into the zoa it will probably grow back. But the oozing juice is highly toxic.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: