Lo49Merc

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was formerly an adventure sports athlete, from Extreme white-water kayaking to endurance racing karts and bicycle road racing. When I had moved from my mothers nest I found That competeing in the National points series of Enduro kart racing was just more than I could afford so I settled on the kayaking and bicycle road racing.
While competeing in a training race in N. Virginia, another racer rolled a rear tire off the wheel as I was drafting from behind causing us both to fall to the ground. Despite the moderate cornering speed and wearing a competitive helmet I suffered a burst fracture of the 5th cervical vertebrae in my neck. This caused an imediate paralysis of my body from my chest down and my hands. This condition is known as quadriplegia, despite the fact that my shoulders remain active but weak and always painful.
After being released from Craig Rehabilitation Hospital in Denver, and returning to my new home in Gaithersburg, MD, my family had placed a small, 29 gallon freshwater fish tank to help ease my pain and depression.
Soon I began to really enjoy the slow, peaceful motion since it was more interesting than maury Povich and his endless list of foolish guests.
After several visits to Tropical Fish World, my local fish store, I was attracted to the bright colors of the reef fish and began to dream about a larger coral reef tank with the numerous reef fish and invertebrates. This led to my first reef tank, a 75 gallon tank lighted with moderate florescents and filtered with a trickle wet/dry filter.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:welcome:

I am sorry to hear about your accident.

Reefkeeping is a real pleasure and will surely be a great benefit to you.

Post up some pics of your reef if you get a chance.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome. We love pictures around here. How long has that 75 been set up now?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also sorry to hear of your accident and its impact on your life. Reef keeping's a great interest and addictive! Welcome to one of its support groups. Although someone might call us addicts mutually reinforcing each other's expensive behaviour. ;)

What sort of inhabitants do you have in your tank at the moment?

bfessler

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Lo49Merc,

Reef keeping can be very therapeutic and addicting as well. My Dad has also been active all his life coaching many sports and after retiring as a high school teacher and coach became a golf instructor. He was stricken with pancreatic cancer a little over a year ago and the treatment kept him from his favorite thing in the world, Golf. He asked me to help him set up a reef tank. Neither of us had any experience with reefs but we dove right in and got addicted right from the start.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sign0016.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: