Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
1) As some of you may know my RK2 is crapping out. Meaning I will have to replace it.
2) Followed by my stand having problems, and I need to re work it, or get a new one. I will be having one custom built!
3) Now the light fixture may be shot, or going. Last night at 9PM when the MH was scheduled to go off we heard a really strange sound, and only 1 of the MH went off. This was followed shortly after with a louder version of the same sound along with a burning smell. I unplugged the MH part of my light fixture. Sniffed around the light fixture, and the sump could not find the origin of the smell. The burning smell hung in the air for a short period of time.
9:30 PM comes around, and the PCs don't go off as scheduled. I programmed the RK2's outlet to turn them to OFF. Nothing the lights would not go off, so I unplugged them.
I plugged the PCs back in this morning to see if they come back on as scheduled. Of course they didn't!!!arg
To go further, the darn light fixture is so heavy I can't just take it down to explore the issue. Anyone have any ideas?

I am so frustrated I feel like throwing the towel in. How much can one take?Without my own personal income I am totally dependent on hubby.:( Hubby is not involved in the hobby, and although he loves to brag about the reef in our living room I just don't think it is fair to him to have to keep sinking money in to this hobby. Nor can he. He is now retired which means no more overtime $$. We are now on a fixed income; and to boot it will take some months before he starts to get his monthly checks, and yet bills have to be paid.:irked:

I really feel that it is time for me to get out, or the very least down grade!:sad2:

Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks Guys!!!!!!

I do love the hobby, and my tank very much! It really isn't a love/hate relationship.

Problem is that with me not having my own income, and having to depend on my husband for everything (although I believe I pay my way above & beyond LOL) I don't feel it is fair to him.:(
Besides, now that he has been forced in to retirement their will only be that once a month check in the mail. That 1 check has to take care of everything including the mortgage.:bigeyes2:

First the stand, waiting on price: That is going to be several hundreds.
My controller, another couple of hundreds. Guess I'm going back to HD $5 timers, and power strips.
Now the lights, who knows what that will be if it can even be fixed. The PC did work once I manually told the rk to turn them on.
The MH I plugged into a surge protector, and only 2 out of 3 fired up.
I had planned to get some LED's for a very reasonable price, and figured I get those next year. Giving me the time to save for them, and use up the MH bulbs that I just bought about a month ago. Now this.;(
I can't ask hubby to give over $1000 to get this tank back in to action, besides I know he doesn't have it anyway.
What really sucks is that I was just getting the tank back on track. Had gotten P04 down to .23, started feeding their regular foods (and on a timely fashion),and all the animals were beginning to perk up.
I just feel like someone is against me having my joy!!!;(

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: