rcdude1990

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Hey guys whats up, long time member but never really posted.
im in the process of searching for a house and one of the funny things im doing is scoping out how the entrances are so i can put a gorgeous tank in it hahaha.

anyway just doing some research and stuff. i currently am running a 25 gallon lagoon and im loving my tank. ive had a 125 a few years back but with a center brace breaking, i had to get rid of it.

so heres the task and the goal, i rather have my tank longgggg and shallow, than have it narrow and high. after all, fish swim left and right, not up and down.
so on another forum someone has built a gorgeous tank and i would love to have it the same!
this guy built i believe a 12 foot long, by 2 feet wide by 2 feet tall tank i believe
loongggggg by not tall.

the question is he did it DIY using acrylic, now im not a proa maker or builder so i dont think i would diy it but its something possible.

so the question... on something like that size, would you recommend acrylic or glass?
ever since my brace breaking, i have been forever afraid of glass aquariums, mostly cause i feel the silicone will deteriorate and possible seam breaks

where as acrlyic i always assumed that the bond is so strong and it basically makes the pieces one.

i wold post the pic of the tank here but i dont want to break any rules haha

reefiness

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
If you're worried about a tank failing then both acrylic and glass tanks can have that happen so I wouldn't go off that. But with a tank that size of probably lean toward acrylic for the weight. Maneuvering a 12ft glass tank is going to take an army of burly men.

Rating - 100%
161   0   0
Most definitely, but I would much rather have a few small scratches that can buff out over a split silicone seam,cleaning the tank take a me a little longer ,but I take my time ,shut the power heads off ,do the first 5 inches close to the sand with a scrapper,then switch over to a magnet for the rest

samster

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Anything big in my opinion any larger tank should be acrylic ...i learnt the hard way with a 300 gallon leaker...now I have a 400 acrylic and I can sleep at night ...f silicone

+1 on going acrylic, I had glass panel tank just bust open in middle of the night, luckily no one was standing in front. I don't trust any glass tanks over 100ish gallons anymore. Acrylic is a pain from scratches but you can remove scratches from acrylic and not from glass. Definitely acrylic for that size of a tank.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: