ThrillYa

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, what's the best way to get 100 lbs or so of sand to Colorado? Is ordering online even worth considering once shipping is added?

ThrillYa

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I investigated that about 6 years ago and none of the local Home Depots carried the correct type of sand. I REALLY wanted them to, for obvious reasons. Back then I ended up purchasing over the internet but can't recall how much I spent and shipping has been going up.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't you use the shell from the Colorado Oyster to make the sand?

Seriously, aragonite sand is not readily available like a decade ago. Almost all the play sand is silicon base. You best bet is to get sand from people getting out of the hobby. I have about 400# of the dried sand laying around since I still not able to get around to set up my second tank. It is people who like me that made the supply disappeared.

ThrillYa

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correction: I may be in need of around 1000lbs.

dupaboy1992":33htqmfy said:
I try to stay away from those Colorado oysters, especially the shell!

You best bet is to get sand from people getting out of the hobby. I have about 400# of the dried sand laying around since I still not able to get around to set up my second tank.
I've got a concern about what may be leftover in other people's old sand. Maybe if it is dry it would be less of a concern but what if it's wet. Isn't there a good chance there's all kinds of detritus that's ready to polute a new tank? Or, at least cause a serious cycle?

blackcloudmedia

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dupaboy1992":1klx5ouf said:

Seriously, aragonite sand is not readily available like a decade ago. Almost all the play sand is silicon base. You best bet is to get sand from people getting out of the hobby. I have about 400# of the dried sand laying around since I still not able to get around to set up my second tank. It is people who like me that made the supply disappeared.

What about those rocky mountain oysters ;)

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check your local esv dealer. Other than that, try ordering lots of sand through a petco/petland/petsmart. Try for "local pickup" or "ship to the closest store"

Other than that, I'd rent a truck and drive to CA.

B

kgross

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check with a custom pool manufacture, or concrete supply. I have found dolomite sand that I have have been selling for aquarium usage. So for it is great stuff, very white, reef safe and cheap. I sell 50 lb bags for $12.

Kim

ThrillYa

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo":2bkgkis5 said:
check your local esv dealer. Other than that, try ordering lots of sand through a petco/petland/petsmart. Try for "local pickup" or "ship to the closest store"

B

I'll be avoiding the CA trip but I'll definitely look into ordering quantity from the chain stores. Thanks

ThrillYa

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kgross":2q9czeon said:
Check with a custom pool manufacture, or concrete supply. I have found dolomite sand that I have have been selling for aquarium usage. So for it is great stuff, very white, reef safe and cheap. I sell 50 lb bags for $12.

Kim

I know next to nothing about dolomite, especially about it's use in a DSB. Is it less preferred over aragonite? I can't seem to find much about it here either.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bingo":1y9a17sp said:

B

It's tough getting sand to CO. Even large tank manufacturers don't ship large tanks to CO :(

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ThrillYa":ds78uki0 said:
kgross":ds78uki0 said:

Kim

I know next to nothing about dolomite, especially about it's use in a DSB. Is it less preferred over aragonite? I can't seem to find much about it here either.

It has a higher concentration of magnesium, sometimes used in CA reactors for Mg maintenance. I have no idea whether it would make a suitable sandbed material, sorry.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ThrillYa":1fn2rnx2 said:
Correction: I may be in need of around 1000lbs.

dupaboy1992":1fn2rnx2 said:
I try to stay away from those Colorado oysters, especially the shell!

You best bet is to get sand from people getting out of the hobby. I have about 400# of the dried sand laying around since I still not able to get around to set up my second tank.
I've got a concern about what may be leftover in other people's old sand. Maybe if it is dry it would be less of a concern but what if it's wet. Isn't there a good chance there's all kinds of detritus that's ready to polute a new tank? Or, at least cause a serious cycle?

You can risen the old wet sand to get rid of the detritus. Laborious, but if you want to save some money. After a few weeks, you can't tell if you have a sand bed from used sand / live sand, or from "virgin" sand.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: