pecan2phat

Professional Commuter
Rating - 100%
85   0   0
First time I used starboard, I just weighed it down with the live rock since the rock I was using was pretty heavy. When I tore down the tank to move, I saw the anoxic black sludge under the starboard, it had a strong sulfur odor. When I restarted the tank after the move, I siliconed the starboard along the bottom edge in an effort to keep water from entering between the starboard and bottom pane.
When I tear down the tank "again" for another upcoming move, I'll let you know if it was a good idea or not :D

MikeC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
213   0   0
In my experience Silicone does not adhere well to the HPDE board and another fear was creating a bigger gap under the board if the silicone did not seal it properly all the way around ?

I am on my third tank using HPDE and have never had a problem.
I could see under the board as my stand was only a frame allowing me to view it from underneath.
I use the 3/4" board and I think that helps as far as not warping and the board being flatter preventing detritus getting underneath it. I know some guys use 1/2" but I would not recommend it for that reason.

One recommendation is to make sure you leave a 1" gap all the way around the tank bottom so the detritus can settle in there making it easier for you to siphon it out during water change.

KISS- KEEP IT SIPHONED and SKIMMED;)
And remember keeping your tank too clean can starve your coral.
Going BB IMOP is great for giving you the ability to monitor you nutrients (i.e. How much food you feed)and beats the alternative by not knowing what's hiding/setteling underneath a sandbed ;)

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: