• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have a 50 gallon display tank and 20 gallon sump. However, my refuge part is probably only about 5 gallons. If I extend the refugium, by adding a tank to the side and connecting that to the sump, will it had any better benefits? Thanks!

seldin

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
94   0   0
Adding more water volume, is better, however, I am not sure this is worth it. I have a similiar setup on my 55 gallon reef.

In the refugium, you usually want to grow chaeto and pods. What benefits are you thinking of besides adding more water volume ( growing more chaeto and pods) ?

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well I thought about a couple of advantages of this.
-More water/volume
-More space to add other refuge plants. Right now I only have chaeto and mangroves. But they are very compacted into a tight space. If I had more space I could do caulerpa
-More pods
-Also, a lot of detritus is built up in that small refuge space.

I've read somewhere that it would help reduce phosphates? Although I'm not sure how.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Well I thought about a couple of advantages of this.
-More water/volume
-More space to add other refuge plants. Right now I only have chaeto and mangroves. But they are very compacted into a tight space. If I had more space I could do caulerpa
-More pods
-Also, a lot of detritus is built up in that small refuge space.

I've read somewhere that it would help reduce phosphates? Although I'm not sure how.

As Larry mentions, the increase in water volume compared to the additional size is probably not worth it.
If you need to reduce phosphates already (this is a fairly new tank- yes?) your better solution would be a phosban reactor.

What strikes me more than anything regarding your response is your concern about already having detritus building up in your current fuge - that is a problem.
IMO better to address this issue by adding a small power head to keep that detritus in suspension so your skimmer can handle it. Adding an additional fuge to one that does not have decent circulation will only compound your issue - not fix it :(

Is there a place you can add a filter sock to catch the detritus that is settling in there? Got a pic of your sump? :)

BigAl71

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry to hijack.... but I'm wondering what if your sump is too tight which is seems richardhmc's space is probably like mine or most with the space the skimmer takes up and what not.
Would it be beneficial to instead of extending the refuge, get rid of the lil 5 gal section and connect another tank for a refuge. So the refuge isnt extended it is relocated. Would this be good or would this end up causing problems?

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
That's what I'm planning to do. Adding a filter sock to the intake of the sump.
I actually never noticed the poop/crap in the refuge until someone pointed out for me when they came over.

Will take pics!

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I have heard for a fuge to be a beneficial part of the tank, not just producing pods, it needs to be 40% of the display tank.
Anything smaller and your main benefit is pod production.

Anyone hear the same things?

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I have heard for a fuge to be a beneficial part of the tank, not just producing pods, it needs to be 40% of the display tank.
Anything smaller and your main benefit is pod production.

Anyone hear the same things?

That's what I've heard too. Being my display is a 50, and my refuge is only about a 5 gallon area, I doubt it affects a lot of the water.

Does caulerpa aid in phosphate removal?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: