A

Anonymous

I need a small fish for my 24G nano that likes to graze a bit. Some of the new frags that I bought have some string hair type algea on them that I can't quite pull off.

Any ideas of a good fish that would graze on this and be a cool fish too?

I have a pair of Helfrici's firefish coming this Friday, so that will the the tankmates. That and maybe a shrimp and a few snails. Right now it's just rock, sand, frags and water.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Good luck with the Helfrich's pair. Most of the time they end up killing each other after a year or two when they mature.

I would suggest a small blenny but they may end up whooping up your firefish. Any reason snails can't do the trick?

A

Anonymous

A Hector's or Rainford's goby should do the trick as well. They will need supplemental feeding of small crustaceans, and do not graze a whole lot of algae, but they will pick at small strands of filamentous algae. They are sometimes hard to get feeding and you should look out for emaciated individuals. Of the two, I think the Hector's is nicer looking:

fM2qLHD7F7.jpg

Max size is about 3", it should not bother your firefish (and vice versa), and feeding should be the same stuff you feed the firefish--small mysis, cyclop-eeze, finely chopped shrimp, etc.

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the sailfin blenny recommendation, although a 24g might be cutting it close. Just be sure it's eating prepared foods.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt wrote:

Any reason snails can't do the trick?

No reason other than I have never really thought of snails as string hair eating.

Good luck with the Helfrich's pair. Most of the time they end up killing each other after a year or two when they mature.

These are supposedly a mated pair that has been owned by someone who is giving them up because the were being pesterd by a wrasse. He only had them for couple of months though.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt wrote:

A Hector's or Rainford's goby should do the trick as well. They will need supplemental feeding of small crustaceans, and do not graze a whole lot of algae, but they will pick at small strands of filamentous algae. They are sometimes hard to get feeding and you should look out for emaciated individuals. Of the two, I think the Hector's is nicer looking:

I like the looks of those fish, but don't want to have to feed sumplemental live crustaceans. They probably would need to though with only 25 pounds or so of liverock.

I wonder if they'd survive if I seeded the tank with some pods?

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len wrote (and Karl seconded)

Atrosalarias fuscus. Cute blennies, and the golden ones are pretty too.

I'll keep an eye for for them. Thanks!

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, FYI, i only paid $200 for the pair of mated Helfrichi's, so at least I got a smoking deal. I got them off a guy on RC that had two mated pairs that were being picked on by a wrasses. And yes, he removed them so their still in good shape. Thank goodness he had a QT.

Louey

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Louey":3aeibud4 said:
Matt wrote:

I like the looks of those fish, but don't want to have to feed sumplemental live crustaceans. They probably would need to though with only 25 pounds or so of liverock.

I wonder if they'd survive if I seeded the tank with some pods?

Louey

No need to feed live. Cyclop-eeze, Arcti-pods, etc. They will take to chopped mysis, pacifica krill, flake, or anything that floats by them within a couple months. They're not as tough as some folks make them out to be, and most individuals you'll find in the trade will be teeny tiny. 25 lbs of liverock would likely be more than enough for one to graze from.

Having said that, a golden blenny would be cool. Len, others, how are the goldens with passive fish? Do they pick on stuff like lawnmowers/bicolors sometimes do?

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Matt_":2yf6nv5d said:
Having said that, a golden blenny would be cool. Len, others, how are the goldens with passive fish? Do they pick on stuff like lawnmowers/bicolors sometimes do?

Mine just goes about his business, grazing and thinking he can hide with his bright yellow camoflage :lol:

The passive fish I have are the flame wrasse, chromis, and diamond gobies.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this the right blennie? The Marine Center says it's yellow as a juvinelle then turns black.

1166363ADDA1449F807AEBAB770861C6N.jpg

Latin Name Atrosalarias fuscus
Common Name Black Sailfin Blenny
Also known as Black Sailfin Blenny
Fast Facts The juveniles of this species are yellow while the adults are brown or black overall. Adults are also known as the Black Sailfin Blenny. The yellow juveniles are impossible to obtain. This blenny is an herbivore and can help in controlling algae growth. They like to perch on rocks or substrate.

NOTE: THE YELLOW JUVENILE IS SHOWN, ONLY HE BLACK ADULTS ARE AVAILABLE.
Sizes Approximately 2"-4"

Range in Nature Indo-Pacific
Minimum Aquarium Size 20
Diet and Feeding Herbivore, provide a varied diet that includes frozen preparations for herbivores. It will do best in a tank with microalgae.
Ease of Care(5=easy, 1=difficult)
Reef Aquarium Compatibility Great reef fish. It is great for helping to control filamentous algae.
Related Fish More Blennies
Availability Regularly Available

Add to Cart Black Sailfin Blenny

Price Qty. Add
$29.00

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Darn. None of my LFS have them. It looks like it'll cost me $44 in shipping from DFS for an $18.00 fish. $64 total.

I might have to go check out petco. :oops:

Unarce

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's worth it...since LiveAquaria won't put them up for sale until they're eating prepared foods.

Order the Gem Tang while you're at it :P

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: