4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lil fyi over at reef central as well as reefs.org is a post re zoo and there toxins. Please go over and check it out. Better yet if someone can get the post over to this site so the zoo owners can read it Im sure it would go a long way I'm sure.

S

Satchmo

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin's some serious stuff. My little story is pretty benign compared to this poor guy who lost his dog, but I'll share it anyhoo.

I was messing with a colony of zoos several months ago (was a green matting-type colony), and ended up dropping them (polyp-side down) into another rock. They closed up and starting spewing out this milky-gray liquid. Stupid me, didn't think much of it, went plunging right back in and finished my tinkering. I had a cut on my hand at the time which STUNG like a ***** for several hours afterwards. The skin around the cut puffed up and got very red. The discomfort went away which was followed by a mild numbness around the cut which lasted through the next day. I have no way of knowing if the zoos were responsible, but I strongly suspect it.

With the large amount of reefers out there and the small amount of cases of serious poisoning, I tend to think the risk is small. But it's still something to think about. I know I'm a little haphazard when working in my tanks, but after this experience, I wash well after playing in there.

T

The Great Rupert AKA AM

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did anyone catch the part in anthony calfo's book where he says that coral propagation may have a future in recreational drugs? I recall reading a old book on reefs that mentioned a coral that caused mild halucinations from it's neurotoxins.

S

Satchmo

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure. I get $5 per polyp outside Phish and Dead shows

4angel

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL!! all jokes aside though Lets let all our buddys in this hobby know and kept informed so they can rember how to deal with certain pieces of coral.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: