drunkenclown

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
could someone give me the basics on algae scrubbers?

can i put a 5 gallon glass tank next my sump and draw water from my sump or overflow to feed it? how does the water get back to the tank or sump? does the tank need to be higher than my sump?

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
A waterfall is the most common, and ime the most effective. Someone is selling them on ebay for 250, look pretty decent
https://www.google.com/search?q=wat...hUKEwjK-MD3lNzQAhVXVWMKHW8VAugQ_AUIDCgA&dpr=1

An upflow, or surface scrubber, or air pump driven is good for tight spaces

Here's something dif
https://www.manhattanreefs.com/foru...e-algae-your-aquarium-pond-5.html#post1706933

if you'r gonna diy wouldn't recommend a glass tank for build

Have seen a clever bottomless waterfall design that some have built over their sump. Arnaldolex, a member here, did one and posted some pics

Last edited:

drunkenclown

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
really like the water fall style trying to do some research and come up with a plan as i'm kinda limited as to where i can put it and how i can incorporate it into my current set-up.

biggest problem is i cannot figure out a way to get the bottom of whatever container i make or use higher than my sump.

don't think i can fit pole style in my sump with my skimmer and thats also the same chamber my return pump is in so i think thats a bad idea.

was thinking of making a 14x14x4" acrylic box with a 12x10 screen 1/2"pvc and a valve to control flow.

as far as feeding the waterfall i would need a pump rated 400-500 gph if i make the slot 12".

if u understand correctly the bottom of the screen needs tobe out of the water correct? that why i figured if i make the front and back of the box 14" high and the sides 13" with a
cutout for the pvc at the top that should leave about 2-3" below the screen

now is where my crazy kicks in...as far as getting the water back to my sump after its run down the screen can i put another pump rated 400-500 gph in the bottom to pump the water back. I'm assuming this pump would have less head since its not flowing through as much pvc and would be able to keep up?

was gonna go the cheap light route and try the home depot cheap reflectors n cfl bulbs i saw someone else use already have one just need another so i can light both sides

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Having a pump to put the water back in sump no worky.
Would use 1" pvc for the slotted piece the screen gets attached to, with a union to remove it for cleaning
You could feed the screen by tee ing off your overflow
Could go longer instead of tall if height is an issue in your stand. It's all about how many square inches, and the light and flow.

drunkenclown

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I've read that one a bunch of times it's helped a bit and i've watched a bunch of videos.

it seems as tho most people running these have fish rooms, basement sumps, or a setup where the algae scrubber is either over the sump or located higher than the sump. that being said between my poorly designed sump and lack of space and height. i don't think i'm going to be able to do a scrubber without a serious investment and help from someone with more experience being able to see my setup firsthand.

purchased a bottle of vibrant this stuff: http://www.uwcmn.com/vibrant-liquid-aquarium-cleaner

going to try n get a portion of chaeto and some Caulerpa prolifera the grassy blade type.(hopefully someone has some near me in the holbrook area or i can get some at a store around here)

going to get some marine pure to put in my sump and swap some the rubble out and clean it

drunkenclown

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
right off their website:
95% Cultured Bacteria Blend
1% Amino Acids (Aspartic Acid)
0.5% Vinegar
3.5% RO/DI Water

their is actually a few threads on other forums about it seems like it will help get some benificial bacteria that may be able to compete with whatever the problem is and i'm guessing the amino acids and vinegar is kinda like carbon/vodka/vinegar dosing or basically what no pox does?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: