saltwaterinbrooklyn

Pro hobby anti profit!
Rating - 100%
132   0   0
I have a rock on the right side of my tank that has hair algae for about 4 months now and it is not spreading or going away , I could remove this rock easily but the problem I'm having is that my 3 tangs love this rock and they are always grazing on it , so should I remove it or should I let this rock continue to provide natural nourishment for my tangs? What would you guys do??

lnevo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
As long as its not spreading and your tangs are enjoying it, I'd leave it...

But you know that nitrates and phosphates allowed it to get there so I'd keep your eyes on those levels to make sure it doesn't get out of control...

It wouldn't take much for the balance to tip against you...

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
As long as it is not spreading to any other surface I would leave it be.;) The minute you see it try to spread on to other surfaces I would snatch it out.

A sawtooth , sailfin and a yellow tang they all graze on this rock
Interesting: The fish are grazing on it yet it is still there. I would have thought that with 3 tangs eating it, it would be gone or at least on it's way out.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
the question you have to ask yourself is does it bother me to have this rock with algae on it in my tank. if your answer is yes take it out and scrub it really well. also find out why this rock keep growing algae.

it could be one of the following

overfeeding
phosphates
lighting
rodi water quality
amount of water changes

just trying to help you out buddy ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: