chanman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Hey guys,

I got a problem with my hammer coral..2 of the heads(same branch) seem to be eroding away. I don't know what to make of it..The skeletons are exposed. It looks like theres some hazy and sticky substance on it, might just be it rotting away..not sure. Not brown enough to be brown jelly.

RSM 34g
Salinity 1.024
Nitrite 0
Nitrate less than 10
Ammonia 0
Ph 8

Heres the pics
fishtank012.jpg

fishtank014.jpg

What should do it? Should i frag it off or wait it out?
Thanks
-Steven

chanman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
too much flow? return it..

I have a koralia 1 and a hydor flow..currently its at the bottom so not too much flow at it. I purchased it off a member here and it was thriving in his tank. The other branches look fine though.

what about your calcium and alk readings?

I was expecting this question and i have to respond with i dont have those tests kits. The other branches of heads are fine, so hopefully lack of or too much of calc and alk isnt a problem.

Main question...should i sit it out and wait to see what happens further or frag it off incase its some sort of disease.

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
Okay. His Calcium reading was reading in the 650-700 Range.

Tested it last night.

We took a frag of his and put it in my tank. It did well and then I woke up this morning, the wasting away process began again.

RIP Hammer Coral =X

chanman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
argh that sucks, it looked healthy in your tank...the tentacles were coming out wthell.
no wasting away on my last couple heads in my tank though.

daisy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
19   0   0
this same thing happened in my tank over the past several months to two frog spawns, a torch and a hammer. All params were fine - even checked them at Pratt as well as at home.

One torch and hammer with lots of heads still doing great. No clue still what happened.

Killerdrgn

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Okay. His Calcium reading was reading in the 650-700 Range.

Tested it last night.

We took a frag of his and put it in my tank. It did well and then I woke up this morning, the wasting away process began again.

RIP Hammer Coral =X

HO DAMN! If he wasn't dosing anything how did his calcium get that high?

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: