Grandczar

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How many clown gobies would be too many for a 29gal? Can you mix green w/ citron?
I have roughly 60 lbs of live rock..
Has anyone ever tried putting a bunch of these guys together?

Green Lantern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are talking about Gobiodon okinawae the source I have (Michael's Pocket Guide) says they will fight in smaller tanks. In larger tanks, with enough coral heads for them to hide in, more than one can be kept. HTH

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
GL, mine uses a leather coral for his pearch. Now this is my experience with this fish. I purchased 2 yellow coral gobies (gobiodon okinawae), for my 55 gallon tank. Within one minute of releasing them into the tank they were fighting. A few hours later they had taken up residence on opposite sides of my reef tank (this was a 3' 55 not a standrd 4'). The one on the left side of the tank was always the dominate one and would not let more than an hour go by without making sure he went over and chased the other behind the live rock. This same sort of pattern continued for a few weeks and ended when I found the harrased gobie on the floor one day. I would have never guessed that a fish of this size that spends most of its time perched in a small area would consider its territory to be so large.
Steve

Alice

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boy, I hope so. I'm going to try two in my 125, green clown and a Citron. If anyone's had experience with them mixing in larger tanks, I'd appreciate hearing it. I'd hate to lose one just because I wanted more than one
icon_sad.gif

The little green clown goby in my nano chases off the Ocellaris Clownfish, which is about 3 times his size. Fiesty little buggers!

Grandczar

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote
A harem with one male and several females would probably work out just fine, the problem is, trying to get them sexed!

I may be wrong but I could swear I read something saying they can switch sex. if im wrong im sure someone will chime in.

SPC

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats what I was hoping when I bought the 2. I have the same delemma as you two do, I now have a 180 reef and would like to get a mate for my other one. I was reading the other day, I think it was Indland Aquatics, and they had these tank raised with both a single price and a pair price, I don't think that meant a mated pair but it might have. With my situation and Alice's, we would have to get a single and then see if the one we have has decided the entire tank is his. I will try to keep you two informed, please do the same for me.
Steve

Green Lantern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No prob Alice. The pocket expert by Scott Michaels is so useful, for the price you can't go wrong.

Will do Steve but I imagine you'll be updating me, my tank isn't due to be up and running til at the earliest September. The wait is killing me. I've been without a tank for a while now.

Alice

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They might be little fish but their struggles against each other can be rather colossal
icon_wink.gif

A harem with one male and several females would probably work out just fine, the problem is, trying to get them sexed! I don't know specifically about the clowns/citrons but most gobies/blennies are sexed by the size of the dorsal fin (among other points), the male having the larger but as these fish are so small and getting them to sit still together and display their dorsal fins in unison for comparison its darn near impossible, lol.

I love them though; I have one little green clown goby in my nano and plan on having a few in my 125 when it's ready for new stock.

~Alice

Green Lantern

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alice,

This is one of the fish I plan to have in my tank as well. Do you think that they absolutely require a head of branching sps? Or do you think that they could make do with a branching frogspawn for instance?

Alice

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Troy;

Mine perches in the Capnella, in the macro, in the gorgonian, in the star polyps....I don't think he's that picky
icon_wink.gif

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: