A

Anonymous

What is the deal with these Hayward single union ball valves? The ball is only held tight by the pressure of the quick-release union being closed, so if you close the valve and release your pump for servicing, the ball and the entire contents of your reef goes in your lap! Hilarious.

It must be me?

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried reversing the installation?

I've used Hayward in the past and don't recall ever having this problem.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It only goes together one way. The female part of the union penetrates fairly far into the male part, and also has a loose collar, which attaches it to the male. The ball has spaces all around it, and if the female part isn't held snugly against it water can escape around the ball. Also if the valve is in the closed position the slot that the ball slides in on is pointing out, so the ball can come right out. It's whacked.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flabello Meandroid":32j71mfr said:
What is the deal with these Hayward single union ball valves? The ball is only held tight by the pressure of the quick-release union being closed, so if you close the valve and release your pump for servicing, the ball and the entire contents of your reef goes in your lap! Hilarious.

It must be me?

:lol: David Cripe, one of the curators at Monterey Bay Aquarium (reef tnak, jelly's and more, are his babies), was just showing me this very problem with older Asahi true union ball valves. I have like 5 cases of them, so he wanted to make sure I had the right ones ;)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: