MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever had their heater get stuck in the ON position and heat the tank up beyond what the thermostat was set for, irregardless of the outside/room temp? My tank is at 80 right now and my heater is set for 76ish, and it hasnt gone off yet.

mray

?
Rating - 99%
96   1   0
I would be worried especially with this heat we're experiencing now. Keep an eye on it, if it doesn't shut off when your tank hits 82, pull it out.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Yes, it has happened to many before, and if they weren't there to see it..they lost thier fish, if not their entire tank.

Take the heater out and throw it straight into the garbage!!!!!!!!!

No heater should be 'on' when the tank temp is reading higher than the heater is set for!

danny

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
stuck heater

Yeah my Ebo-Jaeger is on(set @ 77) even when the tank temp is 83 degrees. but when I pulled out the heater from the fuge my temp dropped down to 74 over night so I just bought a titanium heater now & I will throw out the other heater. Make sure you have another heater you do not want too much of a temp swing.

meschaefer

One to Ignore
Rating - 100%
30   0   0
This is very common, as the thermostat is the most likely thing to fail. Most people end up going with a separate thermostat for their heater like the Ranco which is reccomended above.

Another tactic, is to use multiple small heaters instead of one rated for your tank. Chances are that they all wont go bad at the same time, and if only one is stuck in the on position the damage it can do is somewhat limited.

I wish I could recommend a good heater, but every heater I have ever used (and I have gone through lots of them) sucks.

MikeyZO

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
thanks everyone. I turned the thermostat down 1 notch and the heater turned off. Turned back on when the temp dropped a bit. I will be keeping an eye on it and consider getting the ranco. Good thing is that as long as my AC is on, the heater can run all day and it wont go above 80.

wxl14

Wexel
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would take the heater out. Call the company that made it. Complain that your fish died and corals died. Wink Wink** and demand action. Maybe you will get a new one for free.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: