Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello every body I'm new to MR. my problem is this:
I have 150 gal Oceanic pre-drilled tank with sump and New T-5 Lighting. I just moved to a new 3 bedroom apt. in the Bronx and am worried that the third floor apt. wont like the weight. you see as you guys may already know 150 gal tank filled with just water will weigh close to 1000 lbs. now add to that 100 lbs. of live rock and 160 lbs of sand for that nice 3inch base and lets not forget the weight of the sump... I am looking at approximately close to 1800 lbs. of weight on the third floor. That to me is really a scary thought. Any thoughts or ideas will be greatly appreciated

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
as ken said it all depends how those floor joists are running and how big they are. if anything i would speak to the super of the building or the owner and ask him if he has the information on how the floor joist are ran and how big they are ;)...

if you stand infront of the tank and bounce a little on the floor infront of the tank and that tank is moving then i would be worried

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thank you all for the great responses.. I live in the sedgewick area of the Bronx I just moved from the projects where I could of built a tank that weighed 14 tons, However I spoke to Ken from New York Aquariums and he told me not to worry being that I bought everything from them I will hold them to their word they have installed bigger aquariums than that on floors with wood joists only and assured me they never had a problem. So you will all be happy to know I am going through with it and will post pics. On MR to show you how my 150 gal..:tank: setup is doing. I will also use pressed wood under the tank across the floor joists to distribute the weight evenly. " safety first " :givebeer:

Last edited:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: