closser

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
so I've got a strange noon-reef frustration and I'm wondering if any of you electronic gurus would like to take a stab at it. I have a floor lamp that is remote controlled and has a dimming circuit inside. If you press and hold the remote button, the lights ramp up/down/up until you let go.

So here is the problem. I recently tried to replace the incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent and the light flickered as though the bulb was cold, and eventually went out. Now it won't turn on at all, no matter which type of bulb I put in it. I got a positive continuity check through the circuit board (for what its worth) but thats all I can think of to check. Perhaps if I post a picture of the circuit board, someone will have an idea of which might have gotten fried, and how I might go about getting it to work again?

Attachments

• photo-5.jpg
    photo-5.jpg
    89.6 KB · Views: 69
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
it flashed because compact fluorescents are not designed to be dimmable (dont quote me on this) but are you talking about the swirley bulbs? i would also check the socket as well. i dont no if the newer ones are made to be dimmable.

Last edited:

closser

Active Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
yeah, the swirly ones. I know I'm begging for ridicule by posting this, should have read the packaging on the bulbs etc etc... but wondering if it might be a fun project to try to rebuild the lamp with a simple on/off and bypass the fried board. Anyone know how?

Rating - 81.8%
9   2   0
Compact florecents are not dimmable. The newer one are it will say it on the package. You might have fried the board when it was trying to dim the bulb. It's a very easy fix if you just want to bypass the boards and just make it work on and off.

Sent from my iPhone

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: