hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I have a converted 30 gallon tank that today I noticed is leaking from the bottom seals. I dont know exactly where because the water is coming up the side of the black bottom brace/trimming, mostly on one side of the tank.

I really can't afford a new sump, anyone have any ideas? Can I silicone around the outside of the bottom trimming? (my thought is that won't work as the water will eventually find a way out that is not sealed completely. It seems to be a very slow leak but I guess that it has been happening for sometime because the inside of the cabinet is wet and water has accumulated under it as well.

This is for my 55g Reef, which is doing so well that I really dread thinking about disturbing the tank by having to switch sumps. Last time, when I actually added this sump to the system, I killed half my corals. I think I shocked them with a bad mix when I added the water to the system.

Lastly, if I don't have a choice, does anyone have any spare tanks and/or sumps that they aren't using? Sorry for being so forward but I am not in a position to spend on a new sump.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Hector

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
The resealing thing is out. New silicon won't stick to old. I have a 20 long here if you want. I'll give it to you for free it just needs to be cleaned up its been sitting outside for a while.

If you want it just come pick it up. Never mind I just saw your from jersey lol. But if you want it's here although it'll cost as much in gas and tolls as a new one.

fishman1069

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
You can re seal it as long as you strip all the old silicone out. I've done it on several tanks from 10 gals to 150. You have to make sure you get all the old out, clean it very well with denatured alcohol and seal all the corners at the same time.

JimmyR1rider

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
If you're willing to strip it ALL out yes, but then there's the spot where the new seem meets the other seems that although it can e done its always going to leave a possible weak spot to develop another leak. Good luck with it and I hope you get it done without any future leaks.

d5332

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 96.9%
94   3   0
hmmmmm

are you going to wait until Saturday to try to fix the leak?

People are offering you free tanks and a 30 gallon tank is not very expensive.

I highly suggest the following:

buy a 30 gallon tank and swap it out for your leaking sump, no mods to it, just swap it out and install as is with no baffles.

Clean and take your time repairing your sump, allow silicone to cure.

a few weeks later sell or re-gift the emergency 30 gallon tank.

hclaveria

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
hmmmmm

are you going to wait until Saturday to try to fix the leak?

People are offering you free tanks and a 30 gallon tank is not very expensive.

I highly suggest the following:

buy a 30 gallon tank and swap it out for your leaking sump, no mods to it, just swap it out and install as is with no baffles.

Clean and take your time repairing your sump, allow silicone to cure.

a few weeks later sell or re-gift the emergency 30 gallon tank.

Yes, I agree, that's the best move. Thanks rkaragozler for the offer, I really appreciate it.

Thank you everyone for your help, I looking forward to paying it forward to someone soon.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: