• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Since no one responded to my thread:
Urgent, Help choosing stand please!

Well, the time has come to hustle with my 120's stand.:( I knew it was just a matter of time before it would fail, but I think it is pretty close to doing so now. The doors are giving me problems opening and closing big time and I noticed today during w/c that the 6" center brace has bowed backawards away from the lip of the tank.(YIKES) So no time to build a stand, I have to jump on this.
I can go out to Pets Warehouse and purchase a stand from them or I can just go to neighboring Petland store and buy one there.

Could you guys tell me what is the difference between an "Angle Iron" and "Flexweld" stand? Or should I just buy what ever it is that Petland Discounts sells?
I will be going to Petland today and purchasing what ever metal stand they have in stock to fit.

Now for the help request...

Is there anyone that can give up an hour or two tomorrow Sunday December 14 to help my son move the tank off of the old stand and onto the new stand PLEASE?

Since I loaned out my buckets and bins and have not gotten them back yet, Can I please borrow some? I PROMISE to return them ASAP!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Keith P

Mr. No-Show
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I think they are the same thing. It looks like flex weld is a mfg name of a company that makes angle iron stands.

Angle iron is just a name for steel legths that have an "L" profile to it (kind of like an "I" beam, but "L" shaped).

I bet either would be fine. Pet's warehouse's website doesn't picture the flexweld stands...

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I'm just going to go to Petland since they are not to far from me.

But I do need some help getting the tank moved from one to the other. My son is strong but not that strong and I am useless as far as lifting is concerned.
Anyone?????????

Pedro Nuno Ferreira

Liquid Breathing
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Awibrandy ;-)

You can see here some examples of angle Iron, and here about Flex weld process and about welding

To MR community...Please, can someone help Awibrandy...please...MR Hands on Approach Please...I have a 200 million year marine puddle/pool :) :-( between me and NYC and although possible to get across quite fast nowadays, it is costly to do and quite far away, but you live close by, so please hands on approach MR:grouphug: ...thank you.

Cheers
Pedro Nuno

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Thanks Pedro Nuno! I do believe I have found a helper! But if someone else would like to join us Don't hesitate... I'm sure my son and Jay can use the help...;)

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
For starters:
A BIG thank you to twistedteg/Jay!!!! How can I ever repay you! Please let me know if there is ever ANYTHING at all that I can do for you!!!!!!!!

You and my son made it look so easy, like the tank mearly weighed 10 lbs. or so.lol Whish I had that kind of strength.

Jay, we couldn't live with the short 4 X 4 so we went back to HD and got new ones.;) Jason had me so paranoid with the iron legs sitting on the grain.lol I was actually done by 5:40 PM, 12 hours from start to finish. Of course this did not include the clean up of the buckets and bin. Totally wiped out and still had to fix and feed the grands....:irked:

Any way here are a couple of pics. The last 2 were taken with my iphone a couple of hours after all was done..

Last but not at all least. Thank you Tobin/Bob 1000 for the advice on the 4 X 4 and plywood..;) Great having the opportunity to throw questions at you.....

Attachments

• FOWLR&C 004_800x600.jpg
    FOWLR&C 004_800x600.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 103
  • FOWLR&C 005_800x600.jpg
    FOWLR&C 005_800x600.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 103
  • FOWLR&C 007_800x600.jpg
    FOWLR&C 007_800x600.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 102
  • FOWLR&C 009_800x600.jpg
    FOWLR&C 009_800x600.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 99
  • FOWLR&C 010_800x600.jpg
    FOWLR&C 010_800x600.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 101
  • FOWLR&C 011_800x600.jpg
    FOWLR&C 011_800x600.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 101
  • FOWLR&C 012_800x600.jpg
    FOWLR&C 012_800x600.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 101
  • FOWLR&C 014_800x600.jpg
    FOWLR&C 014_800x600.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 100
  • Iphone FOWLR 12-14-2008 1.jpg
    Iphone FOWLR 12-14-2008 1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 103
  • Iphone FOWLR 12-14-2008.jpg
    Iphone FOWLR 12-14-2008.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
I'd forgetten to post the pics of the lousy composite stand. These pics were taken with my cell phone.
Never ever ever buy a MDB stand!!!!!!

Check out the corners..:irked:

Attachments

• Iphone pics 028.jpg
    Iphone pics 028.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Iphone pics 029.jpg
    Iphone pics 029.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 71

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
I think that the stand is decent for what it is. The separation of the joints is from the added weight of the LR and possibly your sump if it was contained in the lower cabinet area. It may also contribute to added humidity within the room or the tank being slightly uneven from the house settling.
I do however feel that they would not be best suited for SW tanks to begin with because of the weight reasoning.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
skene, I had a 75 gallon f/w on another MDB stand that the same thing happened to some 15 years ago. And it was only a few months old, thank God the manager at Petland was reasonable and allowed me to upgrade to an All Oak stand with just paying the difference in price. Oh, and this was in a different house.....
I will never purchase another.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: