J-Knight

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I cant seem to keep sps in my tank everything else seems to grow and flourish any suggestions

Tank:
20 gallon nuvo

Setup:
2 ai prime hds
Mp10
Gfo reactor

Tests:
Calcium 425
Dkh 8.7
Mag 1350
Ph 7.8
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia 0
Salinity 1.027
Phosphate 0

Maintenance:
Weekly 5 gallon water changes

Tank age:
10 months old

296b723e789bc9cd0ecc78d90c58d045.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.6%
123   3   0
I don?t think ai primes are that strong

Honestly if your are testing correct then your nutrients are too low
You don?t want zero nitrates and phosphates

It?s debatable but most people shoot from 2-10 on nitrates and .02-.10 on phosphates

I would start with taking the Gfo offline
Also do you have a hob protein skimmer. I would add one if you don?t have one. It helps increase ph a little

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.6%
123   3   0
Before your take Gfo offline. You might want to get another test kit for phosphates and nitrate. API isn?t great test kit. They might not actually be zero

Also are you dosing.

Also how often do you test. Do you test before and after water change. How big was water change again

anthonys51

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 97.6%
123   3   0
I use Red Sea for nitrate and Milwaukee digital for phosphates

The digital is a little expensive but I can?t tell the difference on salifert and Red Sea phosphates test kits so I went with digital. On the nitrates it?s hard to tell color too but the digital isn?t that accurate in nitrates anyway imo

Also I would start testing alk every other day. Alk being stable is the most important aspect for sps

Also 25 percent water change is very big imo you run the risk of the water change water being a lot different levels of your tank water with such a big change. I understand it?s only 5 gallons. So be sure to test the wAter change water to make sure levels are close to tank water

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: