92reefer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sold my 92 bowfront corner tank this Summer. Main reason being it was too much maintenance and I was tired of dealing with the odd shaped sump area below the tank.

That said I miss my fish and the burbling sound of water!

So I've been looking for a better replacement for that bare corner. Apologies if I posted in the wrong forum. Moderator please move to correct forum if that's the case.

Having to build new system on a budget since wife is out of work and that complicates things.

SOOO.. I was at my local fish store and saw a Marineland 60G Cube for 459 tank/stand. This started the whole idead of a new tank. Seems like that's a great price for tank/stand of that size. I know there are rimless options out there but honestly, they don't necessarily appeal to me and it seems the Marineland tank is a good deal at the price, especially being plumbed with overflow and being reef ready.

I still have Mag 7 left over that I could use for the return pump and thinking that would be enough flow? Also have 2 Hydor Korralia 3's for flow inside tank and hoping those don't overpower the 60G size. I really don't want to tackle the job of making a homemade sump so I'm hoping that somone could post some options for for a cheap sump that would provide room for skimmer, return pump and a small fuge area? Then there's the final (expensive) piece of lighting. I'd love to do LEDs either suspended from ceiling or anchored from back of tank but the price scares me? I think they make T5 or Power Compact strips that sit on top of the aquarium but I'm honestly looking to get away from incandescent bulbs... have to change them often (costly) and the old "HEAT" issue.

Advice on affordable tank, sump, lights appreciated in advance!

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a pretty decent price on the 60G.

I don't think there is any such thing as affordable LED. They are pricey. But you do recover your money over time in saved energy and replacement bulb cost.

I'd keep on eye out for used equipment on the for sale forums. Plenty of stuff for sale, especially over at RC.

I used to have a 300G reef and had to break it down and sell it when I moved. I too, missed have a tank. I now have a 24G JBJ nano and love it. It satisfies my needs completely and is easy to take care of. See thread in my sig.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what's the length of the 60 cube? if its 36 inches, you might be able to fit a 30 gallon long in there, if not, a 20 long would work too.

As far as LEDs, are you looking to purchase an off the shelf model, or are you into DIY?
rapidled.com has some good DIY kits, while still a bit pricey, they're the least expensive that I've found.
iirc, anenome here on rdo has been using Par 30/36 bulbs(they fit in regular light sockets) with good results, although I think he still supplements with some T5 actinic bulbs...

92reefer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Louey and Budha.

The 60G cube is 24x24x24. I was hoping to get a sump and LED fixture on sale and already assembled for ease. Searching found the Eshopps R-100 II for 199 and the CPR Aquafuge for similar price. I think both would fit withing the 24 wide cabinet. I want to be able to add a fuge and skimmer to the sump and have enough room. I'd like to know if there are better deals on sumps out there for around that 200 price tag?

I'm also not afraid to DIY for the sump or LEDs but if the cost is going to be close to the already built ones, why bother right? I also can solder and not afraid to tackle a DIY LED kit but I worry about the overall looks and esthetics which is why I was gunning for a fixture already make?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rapidled.com has their 48 LED diy kit for $385, plus another $30 for the heatsink to mount the LEDs onto - this kit is complete, and uses the Cree XP LEDs that seem to be the best on the market for reef tanks, also this kit is dimmable, and with a controller like the Reefkeeper Lite, you can simulate sunrise and sunset, and the moon cycles.
marinedepot.com has a Reefkeeper Lite package for $189.99(has pH and Temp probes included, and its expandable) - all that comes out cheaper than the prebuilt units, and with a canopy, no one would see any wiring(I'm planning on doin something similar for my 65 gallon, if life ever decides to give me a freaking break)

I think a 20gallon tall will fit in your stand to use as a sump, just need to get some panes of glass and silicone them in for the baffles...marinedepot(no, I dont work for them, just using them as a price guide for this thread) also has a berlin sump that will fit your stand for $147.99 plus 16.99 oversize shipping charge...

92reefer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Budha. If I buy the 20" high, where do I get the glass pieces for the baffles and how do I know how far to make the spaces etc?

The Rapidled doesn't sound bad but I'm not building a canopy to hide all the wires and unsightly stuff. I did find 2 units that are around 400 that would be equivalent to the rapidled option?

Cadlights 24" system:
http://www.cadlights.com/index.php?main ... cts_id=180

Boostled MU series 135W module:
http://www.boostled.com/products/mu-ser ... led-module

What do you think of those 2 units?

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont have any experience with either of those LED units, but I think I'd go with the Boost unit, provided it can be controlled with the Typhon controller they're also selling(dunno how legal that is, considering Arduino is opensource progaming, although they DO acknowlaedge the guys from RC that created the Typhon. I have a couple raw circuit boards for that project)

as for the 20 gallon high, you can google "20 gallon sump design" and find the proper sizes, and you can get the glass panes cut to size at your local hardware store like Home Depot or Lowes...

92reefer

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Man. My head is spinning from all the led choices. Controllable, dimmable, ARDUINO sketch.. you'd think I was working on a computer and I consider myself a "techie"

IDK. Guess my quest for reasonable off the shelf kit doesn't really exist. I have to tell you, the cables/power-cords on that Boost LED unit look horrendous! I can definitely not live with something that messy! I was leaning toward the Cadlights unit because it was clean looking and could easily mount on top of the stand or hang from the included kit. Con appears to be non-controllable and rather weak in terms of light output versus the Boost LED setup. Man... too many choices.. :cry:

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: