jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Hello. Last night, another MR member was extremely generous and gave me a pro clear aquatic model 125 sump. http://www.petsr4u.com/prodimages/proclear/125galw-d.gif I intend to install the sump today.

I have a 55 gallon tank, and the usual steel stand. My tank w/ the stand included is 4 feet high. The sump is 15 1/2 inches high.

I will be using a CPR 150 overflow box. It has the ability to pump 1600 gph. However, I spoke with Kathy and she said, it is capable of that flow rate, but can be altered.

She said she "would plumb it so the opening on the bottom is reduced to about 1" (that will slow down the flow out of the box)..you can do that with 'reducer' fittings..step down from a 2' (Not sure what size it starts off, so I'm using this as an example)...then to a 1 1/2" --> 1"..You should be able to do that within about 5 or 6 inches of the bottom of the overflow box." to reduce the flow.

My Overflow box actually has a 1 1/2 inch bulkhead. Here is the link to it: http://www.aquariumguys.com/cs150overflow.html . However, I also have to take into account head loss. My tank w/ the stand, as previously stated, is 4 feet high and the top of the sump is 15 1/2 inches high.

Would someone plese help me? I would like to know exactly what supplies I need to purchase (I am lcoated next to Home Depot and Lowes), how exactly to reduce the flow from the overflow, what the revised flow will be, and how many gph my return pump will need to be capable of pumping.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!! Thank you in advance.

Justin

Last edited:

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Justin, I've never heard of anyone WANTING to reduce the flow from their overflow. This is not making sense to me. If you're trying to decrease the amount of flow in the tank or through the overflow box, reduce the flow from your return pump.

Russ

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Justin, I've never heard of anyone WANTING to reduce the flow from their overflow. This is not making sense to me. If you're trying to decrease the amount of flow in the tank or through the overflow box, reduce the flow from your return pump.

Russ

Russ - originally he was going to use a much smaller sump that wasn't going to accomodate all that flow. His DT is a 55, the sump was a 20g L and the OFB - with dual overflows can handle 1500gph. I didn't want to see him have to put a huge return pump on the system - hence the suggestion.

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Masterswimmer: Can you explain? I was under the impression (I assume a false impression) that I had to match the flow of the return pump to the overflow. A return pump that pumps 1600 gph would be expensive and I am on a limited budget. Also, I don't want the inside of my 55 to become a hurricane. I have two maxijet 1200s already.
Duke 62: The tank is full of livestock, and I have finally just begun to establish everything.
Kathy; I apologize if I explained what you meant wrong or used it out of context.

knugenx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
308   0   0
Justin, are you using two pumps? -one to get water to sump and one to return?
It would be suggested to use a stronger pump for the return...just add a ball valve to control the flow from sump to tank...maxi1200 is not strong enough for 4ft back to tank.

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Knugenx: No, the maxijets are just creating flow in the tank. They aren't for my return pump. I was told a ball valve is not good to use.

Kathy and Russ: The sump I have is the model I stated, howeverl it appears to be smaller than 20 gallons. it is next to my 20 gallon tank and is about half the size. It is 19 1/2 inches long, 10 inches wide, and 15 1/2 inches high.

madreefer

Crazy bout reefing
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Justin i had a similar sump on my tank i did not reduce the amount of flow from my overflow box. the pump i used was a quietone 4000HH which cost me about 80 bucks new from country critters. i was running the pump through a chiller also and had no problems what so ever.

Wes

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Your pump does not need to match the overflow box. That is a maximum rating. Anything less than that is fine. Water will only go into the overflow at the rate your return is pumping.

Sent from my iPhone using Reefs

knugenx

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
308   0   0
Sorry if I'm not correct...Isn't the overflow box just collecting water in the tank and siphoned to an outer box connected to the sump? The amount of flow in the overflow box is dictated by the amount of water you pump back into the tank either by raising or lowering the water level in your tank.

jcolon2

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Thanks guys. I am beginning to understand how this works now. So, lets say I purchase a pump that only pumps 1,00o gpha (excluding head loss) then that is all my overflow will pump?

How did this pump and price seem?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000256E76/?tag=reefs04-20

I really do appreciate everyone's help. I am doing this on my own, so it is a learning experience.

Last edited:

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Correct, but when you are saying the overflow pumps water you are misleading yourself. Your overflow box is basically a passive drain to the sump.
As long as your return pump does not exceed the capacity of the overflow drain then you will be fine. In normal operation.

qy7400

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Sounds like you on the right path now, while this is my preference only I'd say the 4000 is a bit much for a 55; I have that same pump on my 120. I follow the slow flow through the sump so your heater/skimmer/filter media can do its thing plus odds are lower for micro bubbles. The other added benefit to small pump is not just lower power use but a small UPS can keep water flowing for a few hours.

bigyankfan

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
226   0   0
Kathy and Russ: The sump I have is the model I stated, howeverl it appears to be smaller than 20 gallons. it is next to my 20 gallon tank and is about half the size. It is 19 1/2 inches long, 10 inches wide, and 15 1/2 inches high.

Justin,

The formula for liquid capacity is H * W * L which gives you cubic inches. If you want gallons, divide by 231 so your sump, if filled right up to the rim is 13 gallons. Additionally, an overflow is a passive system, it doesn't pump anything. When water from your sump is (actively) pumped into your DT that volume of water displaces water already in your DT. The displaced water is the overflow and that gets returned to the sump via gravity. An overflow box is rated for maximum flow and that is dependent upon the diameter of your return line. HTH.

duke62

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
224   0   0
you can drill the tank with with all the livestock in there.it just takes a little longer to do so.the water that you take out to drill will go right into the sump.if you have a 20 gallon sump that will be plenty to drain to do the drilling.you can keep your powerheads on while the drilling is taking place.JMO

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Justin, it sounds as if you're on the right track now.
Overflows do not 'pump' water. They only handle the flow of the water being returned by your return pump in your sump. If your pump returns 800 gph (just an example), then the overflow cannot possibly take out 1400 gph.

Glad you're beginning to 'feel' it.

Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: