D Rose

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Hello,Here is my problem:

I have a 90 gallon corner over flow reef ready tank. Looking at the tank the overflow is on the left. I have an immovable entertainment center directly to the left of my tank and concrete wall behind tank in ana apt building. I will have to place my chiller to the right of my tank. So I am assuming I would have to run flexible tubing from the sump out to the chiller, then have tubing from the chiller run 4ft to the left back where the return bulk head is located. How big of a pump would I need for this?

Total distance (vertically and horizontally) would be about 1 1/2ft from sump to chiller, through chiller, 5 1/2ft from chiller to return bulkhead, and then 2ft up to where the water re-enters the tank.

Any thoughts would help, maybe a mag 12? I have a mag 7 return pump now but that just goes 4ft straight up and I get good pressure.

PS. could I place the chiller under my stand? I know the heat coming out is an issue, but the back is open with about 8" btwn the wall and stand, and I could leave front doors open, just close when i have company.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Hey Dennis... if you have a sump, the chiller can grab the water at one end and return it to the other end of the sump. Better to let the cooler water mix with warmer water before it goes back into your tank. A stream of chilly water directly into the tank doesn't sound like a good idea IMO.

The size pump you need to use is governed by the requirements of the chiller itself and (as you already know) by the length of the hoses used to & from the chiller. What brand of chiller is it and HP..and GPH too?

Keeping it under the stand should be your VERY last resort - they put out a tremendous amount of heat! I think the instructions with many chillers state they should have 24" (IIRC) of clearance behind them..and that fact that heat rises would also toss that idea out the window as the heat would 'accumulate' under the tank and entirely defeat the purpose of the chiller :(
How much space is there to the right of the tank? You might want to consider putting it on the far side of the entertainment center if there is any space there? Got a pic? :)
I couldn't fight with the heat my chiller was putting out anymore and now I keep the entire room cool with an A/C and use a couple of fans on my sump in the summer along with the fans in my canopy :)

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: