SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK .. ive had an outbreak for 3 weeks now. ive been doing water changes... running GFO ,and syphoning the gravel... is it time for 2 days lights out?

this stuff is mega tough!

any insights?

thanks,

b

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried changing your lights? That often does it by itself. I found dripping kalkwasser clears it up quickly too.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erythromycin will wipe it out pretty quickly. Drugs are your friends.

Len

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Erythromycin is what I think Ultralife's Red Slime Remover and Kent's product uses to kill cyano. It's reef safe, though I'd try kalkwasser (raising pH and alk) first.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Len":by0x2nc2 said:
Erythromycin is what I think Ultralife's Red Slime Remover and Kent's product uses to kill cyano. It's reef safe, though I'd try kalkwasser (raising pH and alk) first.

I kinda disagree with that blanket statement, I do believe (through bad experiences) than adding an antibiotic adversely effects the beneficial bacteria in the tank which can cause spikes and even worse problems.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do run a kalk reactor Len. Just so we all know.. It is running through my Osmolator that topps about 5g / week.

I did buy the lamps last october I think. So it is coming up on a year. for a while I ran them 12 hour a day for some reason. Just expensive to replace all those t5s haha.

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Damn it, maybe metal halide would be better for vegging. :?

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nah. I won't go back to halide. I really like the t5. Already ordered new lamps from www.diyreef.com

also going for a towel blackou for a few days...cleaning skimmer... Big water changes and mp40ws on full tilt for a while

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I should make clear you should try oxygenation and stuff like that first. It doesn't seem to hurt corals or anemones or the nitrogen-fixing bacteria. One dose is usually sufficient. I'd use it as a last resort or if the cyano is threatening to kill corals and stuff like that.

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if i have to use an antibiotic, should I dose probido after some water changes to help kick start it again? My fish load is pretty light too.

so..

antibiotic dose.

24 hr

large water change

24 hr

dose bacteria?

B

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok
stupid question. can i RAISE my PH without raising ALK?

they are directly tied... correct?

I just don't want to get into a dangerous area. I have some expensive frags in there

B

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your pH? Don't fix it if it ain't broke. (You can raise pH without raising alk much using sodium hydroxide.)

The key to getting rid of cyano is oxygenation. What is your water circulation like?

SnowManSnow

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2mp40w's + the return. Circulation should be ok. Circulation and oxygenatiin are 2 different things though. I suppose I can oxygenate more by more surface agitation.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got bad Cyano in my 29 biocube. I added a powerhead (ugly) and keep blasting the LR and moving the powerhead around. Water changes did not change anything but I did not do a drastic 50% water change.

It is really annoying me as its covering corals if I dont blast it off every few days. And the tank just looks bad. Getting to the point of dumping the tank if it does not change in a few weeks.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SnowManSnow":1v12lo0k said:
2mp40w's + the return. Circulation should be ok. Circulation and oxygenatiin are 2 different things though. I suppose I can oxygenate more by more surface agitation.
Yes, there you've got the idea. :)

Rob, you must do the water changes, 50% is a beginning, not an ending.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was doing 5 gallon weekly water changes with 0 TDS RO/DI water. I do not dose anything else into the tank either.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SnowManSnow":1h5wn5v6 said:
ok
stupid question. can i RAISE my PH without raising ALK?

they are directly tied... correct?

I just don't want to get into a dangerous area. I have some expensive frags in there

B

Yep with Carbon dioxide in there also. You can lower carbon dioxide, raise the pH with little to no affect on KH.

I think

my .02

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: