yznhmr

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i just set up my 5" dsd 30 gal refugium(SD) sand 2 weeks ago, i have 4 (Had hair algee on them)pieces of LR out of my main tank, and a 9 for 99 kit from IPSF. I have hair algee growing and diatoms, are quickly covering the the top of my sand bed, the Black snails(from IPSF dont rem the name ) wont stay in the refugium, found one 4' from the ref. and a couple layin around it( still alive) but i am wondering if this is normal, and if i need to add anything else to the refugium..(to get rid of the diatoms) i have some grape culpera and some red tang heaven, in there also.

slojmn1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am assuming the black snails are the nerite grazers from ipsf, these guys are inter tidal snails and enjoying being out of the water from time to time. Hence they cruise up and out of your tank, unfortunately they often can't find their way back in and will eventually shrivel up and die. on the reefs the tide comes in and covers them up. There are always algae outbreaks when setting up a new system. this sounds pretty normal given your description of your setup and the time frame. Let your refugium go through its own little cycle. I would expect your algae problem to run its course over the next few weeks. If you are still having trouble in a month or so then maybe adding some other types of snails to the refugium will help. My guess is you will be fine once your refugium gets going for a while.

justme94

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just set up my refugium 2 weeks ago too. I, too, am going thru a diamton bloom in my refugium. I think it's just part of the cycle. I have feather and grape caulerpa in there and they seem fine. I'm hoping it'll just run it's course (pretty much like setting up a new tank) and go away. From everything I've read, I think this is normal.

Stephanie

My Reef Tank

[ July 20, 2001: Message edited by: justme94 ]

2poor2reef

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, those little black snails are impossible to keep down on the farm. Someone told me they're a type of trochus. I moved all mine to an enclosed polyp tank and they do a great job and are very long lived. I use ceriths in my refugium instead. So your experience with them is perfectly normal. BTW I used to find them on the floor a good four or five days out of the tank and they were fine. They seem to seal up tight to preserve moisture. Amazing.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: