nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Hello everyone,

Thanks in advance for your help. I have been battling with this Algae for some time. Your help is appreciated. Tank is running for more than 18 months. I have been dosing NoPoX for few months.

Attachments

• IMG_1512.jpg
    IMG_1512.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 201
  • IMG_1508.jpg
    IMG_1508.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_1503.jpg
    IMG_1503.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_1504.jpg
    IMG_1504.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 195
  • IMG_1506.jpg
    IMG_1506.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 196
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Im sure a little more info would help..whats the tank specifics?
Size? Its location? Bioload? Feeding schedule? Lighting schedule? I know I'm leaving out alot of questions here but u get the idea..

The more info u provide the more chance someone will be able to identify a potential problem source.

Where are u getting your water from?

Last edited:

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Thanks ! My water parameter as of yesterday evening. And my average for the last one month. Using NOPOX to control Nitrate and Phosphate.

Temp - 78 ~ 79
PH - 7.9 ~ 8.1 Apex
Alk - 8.12 ~ 8.4 Redsea
Ca - 430 ~ 460 Redsea
Mg - 1220 ~ 1430 Redsea

I have 2 MP40s for the flow. Its is Read Sea 525XL tank. I started with RODI water and still using RODI water to top off and for water change as well.

3 AI Hydra for lights. Running Saxby schedule. Feed once a day. But I do feed heavily. Running Chempure blue. Skimmer - BM5

Last edited:

piranhapat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Do some water changes. Bigger the better. Siphon as much of algae you can get. Your reading is higher than you think. How much rock and bio load you have. Cut back your feeding. Cut back on your lights if possible. Is your protein skimmer working good. Make sure your RDO filters and DI resin are good. Which means your TDS are Zero. You might want to add GFO if you want to be a heavy feeder.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Like he said, I would get a tds meter and make sure your rodi is at 0 first and foremost.

If you dont have a lot of corals cut the lights back to a few hours or at least tone down the intensity. Try feeding 2 or 3 smaller meals throughout the day instead of 1 heavy meal. Allow them more time to eat the food instead of it sinking to the bottom. Boost the cleanup crew too..20 or 30 hermits and an emerald crab can do a hell of a job in just a few days.

And finally if the rodi is good to go at 0...do a few water changes consecutively, like every other day for a week.

It's hard to tell from the pics..but is it more of a slime algae, a hair algae or like a mat on the sand bed? Is it just on the sand or the rocks too?

Again the more information given can help find a possible cause of the algae...is the tank near a window or does it receive any excessive light from outside? What has your maintenance schedule been like? What kind of food are u feeding?

Last edited:

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0
Thanks everyone. I have two TDS meter and the reading is 0 on both. Sure. I would couple of quick water changes. Its like mat on the sand bed. I can easily role it up. I have tons of cleanup crew.

I have around 130 pounds of marco rock. Have like 10 fishes and very few corals.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Any chance its green cyano? If it is, the regular course of treating algae would probably not work. Might wanna try a red slime treatment for cyanobacteria.

I had green cyano...would come up in thick sheets off the sand bed.

I'll see if I have any pics of it..but it was like green sludge that would come up in big pieces. It would grow back in a day or two

Last edited:

nanchil

Crawling Reefer.
Rating - 95%
38   2   0

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: