aviking

Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I looked at my xenia this morning and it is literally falling apart. each arm has detached itself (i think by itself) from the rock and is floating around on the bottom of my tank alive. What can cause this and how do i anchor the individual pieces down to something? Frag disk or rock?

Thanks in advance for any help!!!!!!!

jay1335

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think xenia deos that sometimes its a way to reproduce, and i think its called budding....I would try and collect whatever you can of it or else you will end up with it all over your tank. Do a search for xenia fragging and you will find a few diff ways to secure it to new rock.

aviking

Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think xenia deos that sometimes its a way to reproduce, and i think its called budding....I would try and collect whatever you can of it or else you will end up with it all over your tank. Do a search for xenia fragging and you will find a few diff ways to secure it to new rock.

Thanks!!!!!!! It was looking good one day and then this.... i thought something drastic happened in my tank.... i feel a little better...

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Xenia

Sounds like from what u described something in your tank might be attacking the xenia.What kind of fish do u have in your tank. When they reproduce they bud off on a nearby rock or on the same rock they don't come apart like u described.

aviking

Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sounds like from what u described something in your tank might be attacking the xenia.What kind of fish do u have in your tank. When they reproduce they bud off on a nearby rock or on the same rock they don't come apart like u described.

I have a clown, wrass ( i forget the exact name), scooter blenny, some snails and red leg hermits and a blue leg hermit. All my other corals looked good this morning... I didn't have time to test the water or anything to see if there was a major spike in something that would cause it to fall apart.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Xenia

Thats a definite possibility.Xenia are very sensitive to high Nitrate and any water imbalance that affect PH. But from what u describe the xenia is still alive when it falls apart that sounds like an attack. when they usually die they would turn white and just melt away.

aviking

Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thats a definite possibility.Xenia are very sensitive to high Nitrate and any water imbalance that affect PH. But from what u describe the xenia is still alive when it falls apart that sounds like an attack. when they usually die they would turn white and just melt away.

Thats what the stumps look like on the rock. I just upgraded my tank from a 72 - a 90. I wondered if its cycling again. I used most of the same water and have all the same rock... i don't think the hermits would bother them? well i was told they wouldn't bother anything in my tank.... otherwise, i don't have anything that I know of in the tank that would be munching on it.

aviking

Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
in the early stages of my tank i had a couple died on me. They turned white and literally melt away.If thas whats happening then its your water.

The weird thing is the pieces that fell off are still living and look good, accept they are not attached to the rock. I will test my water and keep an eye on the Hermits.

Thanks for your help!!!!!!!

rfny75

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Do you have an anemone that the clown is hosting? my maroon wouldn't let me put any corals next to his anemone and would literally knock them down or tear them apart.

aviking

Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Do you have an anemone that the clown is hosting? my maroon wouldn't let me put any corals next to his anemone and would literally knock them down or tear them apart.

No. I think the clown is tank raised... it doesn't go into any of the corals or even the anemone i had. I'm at a loss.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: