tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
As some of you may know, I have a history of setting up saltwater fish tanks in the schools I work in. This year began my new position at New Visions AMS IV. We are a new school, starting with our 9th grade class.

We have received two donations so far to bring Marine Biology to our students.
Santa Monica donated the Hog 2 for us to develop our algae rearing as a method of biological filtration.

James of MR has donated to us his 72g bow front system which he used in his teaching of marine biology to the kids he teaches. He, his students and his brother helped to break down the system in his classroom and load the truck too! It was a labor of love.

The transfer occurred the very last day of school before winter break so it will take a few weeks for me and my students to set up the room it will be going in, set up the tank, and get some of the other equipment we will need to fully run the system.

We are super excited!

We will use this thread to post pictures, updates, plans, questions, etc.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Just as an update:

We visited Randy at Pratt for a tour of all of his systems. The students were wowed by what they saw. They also really liked the campus.

Then we visited Calvin at NYRA in flushing queens. He donated salt, hose, sand and some dr. Tims in addition to his time in giving us a tour.

This has been a very nice time for us so far.

The students are also using this project to do art and design. One of the reasons it is taking so long is that we rebuilt the stand, plumbing and light holder, and are making the stand itself a piece of art.

I don't mind. Whatever makes them happy.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: