richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I live in Staten Island and going out to other boroughs to get corals is a huge hassle since I can't drive. So, I have to take the ferry, bus, train, and walk. What is the maximum time a coral can stay in a plastic bag?

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
If you're able to keep the temperature steady without getting too hot or too cold, then it could last a few days assuming they're healthy to begin with. Although that would likely stress them/brown them out but still be alive. I was able to keep a few acro colonies that way when I moved here and didn't have my tank setup until couple days later. Styro or coolers are a must because they help a lot.
If you have to go through all that hassle, If I were you, I'd just stock up on the swaps. LOL

Last edited:

richardhmc

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well I'm going to be in travel for days haha. A cooler is a great idea for carrying the corals instead of just stuffing them into my backpack. I'm not sure how I would maintain temp though.

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
Stable temp certainly helps a lot. If the temp does swing, cooler is always better than warmer/hotter.

Different corals respond differently when the stress of shipping is factored in. Corals that slime more than others will pollute the water in the shipping bag quicker than coral that don't slime as much.

When bagging the coral, you should use the water:air ratio of 1:2 or even 1:3.

As you can see, giving you an exact survival time for coral in a bag is impossible. Extending the time is subjective and up to your bagging techniques.

Good luck,
Russ

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
I think it would help if you tell us the names of the corals because some softies don't fear too well if they are fraged on the traveling day.And try not to shake up the bags.

ming

LE Coral Killer
Rating - 100%
272   0   0
Its going to be pretty hot tomorrow.. high of 91F. Make sure the temp doesn't go above 85... even at 85 its dangerous and may not last long. SPS don't deal with heat well and may RTN otherwise.

tttony

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 94.7%
18   1   0
dont forget , most non fragged corals still come from across the world, from indo, fiji or aussie, thousands of miles in a bag to cali if there lucky then rebagged then on to ny or nj wholesalers then bagged up to local pet shops, thats a long time in a bag,

masterswimmer

Old School Reefer
Vendor
Rating - 99.6%
448   2   0
On hot days like this, just take a few ziplock sandwich baggies and fill one with water. Put that baggie inside another ziplock baggie to prevent leaking. Do that as many times as you feel comfortable. Then freeze the baggies in your freezer. When you place the coral in your cooler, put the frozen baggies into the cooler wrapped in newspaper or paper towel. This will prevent the ice from touching the coral directly, but be plenty cool to keep the cooler at acceptable temperatures, even when it is 90 degrees outside.

Hope this helps,
Russ

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: