potsy

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We're soon moving into a third floor condo (new construction) and I was wondering how much water volume/weight the typical floor can support without my worrying about a mini-reef landing on my neighbor's lap? I was thinking about a 75 or 90 gallon. Thanks!

vpham97

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it's a new construction, can you ask some of the engineer still around. Most of them love those kind of challage.

potsy

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The builder can't customize the construction since we're part of a larger building. If I could do it without worry,I'd love to setup a 120 gallon; I find the dimensions very attractive. But, I'm afraid 120gallons might push the limit and fall through floor.

Enkidu

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Its like 8 dudes standing in a 2x4 foot area, 24/7. Its usually not a problem, just put it on an exterior wall, preferably one where the supports in the floor are running perpendicular to the wall.

Merkur

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my reasurch (looking at tank sizes on aga's website) you are okay until you hit a 90 gallon. at that point the lbs/sq. ft. excede typical design live loads used in residential construction.

Tim M Hovey P.E.

pathos

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
typically in new residential construction the floor is designed to withstand anywhere from 50 to 65 lb/ft2 of weight (15 lbs/ft dead load + 35-50 lbs/ft live load). placing the tank perpendicular to the direction of the joists is a good idea, however since (i presume) blocking and a diaphragm (plywood or eq.) was used to build the floor, the weight will get distributed regardless of how you position the tank (joist spacing is 16" on center). if it is new construction I wouldn't worry too much about the weight. structural engineers factor these kinds of things into the initial design. good luck!

Jrsydevi1

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put it this way...
I am a plumber, and I have installed Jacuzzi tubs that weigh 100lbs, hold at least 100 gal of water and 2 people, and set them in 50lbs of cement, and no special joist spacing, or load-bearing wall placement was ever necessary..
With normal construction, ie 16" on center joists and 3/4 plywood floor, I dont beleive it would be possible to have ANYTHING actually crash THROUGH the floor unless it was a Buick dropped through your roof..

The floor sagging a bit under 1000 lbs of constant load IS a possibility, your downstairs neighbor getting hit in the head with your reef is not..

That's my story, and I'm stickin to it
icon_wink.gif

Merkur

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must also keep in mind what an engineers definition of 'failure' is. when sizing floor joists we arn't paying attention to 'failure' in the sense of an aquarium crashing through the floor. at a given design live load we will design to a deflection criteria. (what this is depends on the code and type of construction).

example, i say anything under 90g is okay. in saying this what i mean, is anything over 90 is prone to cause a deflection greater than l/175 (length of span over 175) inches. at the center beam span when this load is consitantly present over the entire beam span.

Basicly, what i am saying, is that you can plop a 90g in the center of a room and it will be okay. you could also likely drop a 180 next to a load bearing wall and it will be okay. also note, even if its not 'ok' you need to remeber my definition of 'ok' means less deflection, not crashing through and killing your neighbors.

note: all standard disclaimers apply. if a tank -does- crash through, i didn't say it was okay to put it thier
icon_smile.gif

davelin315

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bunch of architect friends and they always tell me to just do the math. Seawater weighs about 8 1/2 pounds per gallon (or so I've been told), so figure for a 90 you've got around 700 pounds. Add in the weight of the tank, substrate, stand, filtration, etc. etc. and you're probably around 900 pounds or so. The floor joists are going to be running in a certain direction, so if you place the tank perpendicular to the joists which should be about every 16 inches (if I remember my code correctly), you're not putting much more weight on a section of your floor than one or two people, and you don't get nervous about standing in one spot on your floor for too long, do you? Just make sure you place the tank perpendicular to the joists, and you'll spread the weight out evenly. Even better, place it near a load bearing wall and you'll be fine. If you're still nervous, call the architect or go to your city hall and ask the building inspector how much weight your building can handle based on the plans filed with them.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: