murrayjim

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just ordered some mangroves and was hoping to get some feedback from those of you who have experience with them. I want to know how much light they need, would a 27watt PC be enough? What would be the best way to secure the mangrove in the sump? How fast do they grow. How much nitrate do they consume if any? Already did a search on the discussion board but still need more info. Thanks

playnhooky

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run 55W PC 10K and my mangroves do great and they eat up the nitrates.Before the mangroves was 50ppm and after the refugium with mangroves 10ppm and under.
mangroves.jpg

murrayjim

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
playnhooky
WOW! That's great, what size tank? Also, what has the growth rate been under the PC's?
Thanks

cindywennin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
playnhooky: use the PC 10k on the tank. Plain NO or even a grow light from Home Depot would do. No special spectrum of light needed.
Cindy

playnhooky

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
75G tank with 23G sump and 10G refugium ive got 2 175W metail halide over the tank.The growth rate of the mangroves has been slow ive had them for six months now and they are about 1/4 of inch bigger

cindywennin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My mangroves are 9 months in sump and have grown 2"-3" with the grow lights. Each has 7-9 leaves on it and there were no leaves last October when they arrived.
What is your root system like?
Cindy

murrayjim

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of grow light? You mentioned you got it at Home Depot, what brand name, what was the price, how many watts?

cindywennin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am sorry I don't remember the exact brand. There is a display for specialty bulbs on the light bulb aisle. I bought the fluorescent bulbs from there, they said they were for plants so I bought them. I don't think I paid $5 for each of them, had a few spare shop lights and plugged them in. Any light you would not dare use on your reef because the kelvin rating is too low...that would be fine for your mangroves. If you have old NO fluorescents...use them on the mangroves. Cindy

THEFishHead

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have a look at our website:
www.twolittlefishies.com

on it you will find a PDF file of a small manual I wrote about keeping mangroves- free advice for you!

Best Regards,

Julian Sprung

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by murrayjim:
<STRONG>I just ordered some mangroves and was hoping to get some feedback from those of you who have experience with them. I want to know how much light they need, would a 27watt PC be enough? What would be the best way to secure the mangrove in the sump? How fast do they grow. How much nitrate do they consume if any? Already did a search on the discussion board but still need more info. Thanks</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

murrayjim

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the info, I will give the home Depot a try and if I find the lights I'll pass on the info (in case someone else is interested). I will also download the pdf.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: