Mal

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reef tank has a calcium level of about 280 - 320ppm. I understand it should be over 450ppm. The instant ocean reef crystals set up the calcium at 300ppm.

What is the best way to raise the calcium levels? I have been using Kalkwasser to raise the calcium. I mix it in a gallon jug and use the top off clear water to add to the tank in a slow drip.

Has anyone else done this? Is this a good method and chemical to use to raise the calcium? If not, how do you do it and what do you use?

Mal

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Calcium shoud be similar to natural seawater, IMO, which is around 410 ppm. No need to push past 450 ppm.

Limewater is not a suitable way to raise claicum that much because it will push the alkalinity and pH through the roof. Calcium chloride would be the best way to go.

You should also measure the alkalinity and make sure that you have an appropriate level (2.5 to 4 meq/L, IMO).

Then, once you have calcium and alkalinity balanced, limewater is a perfectly fine way to maintain them for most tanks.

Mal

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am new at this. What is IMO?

You said "You should also measure the alkalinity and make sure that you have an appropriate level (2.5 to 4 meq/L, IMO). "

Please explain further. I am not familure with this. Is alkalinity PH?
My PH is 8.1.

Thank you for your help.

Mal

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bob Studt

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mal, In addition to what Randy has said, I would be interested in knowing what your specific gravity is. You say that Reef Crystals has set your calcium level at 300mg/l and that seems a bit low for RC. A calcium level of 300mg/l in RC would be normal only if your specific gravity was around 1.018 or so. I only ask because if your spgr is fairly low (below, say 1.024) then one simple way to increase your calcium level would be to raise your specific gravity to a level closer to natural seawater's level of 1.026-1.027.

Bob

Daryl Westfield

New Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that variability is high between calcium test kits. I would try a different test kit and test your tank water and compare again to your salt mix. I use a test kit that is easy and reasonably precise (but not necessarily as accurate as more expensive kits I've tried). I maintain my tested calcium at 300-350ppm and get excellent results.

xKEIGOx

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i use calcium chloride to raise calcium and it work very good! but I have trouble of using kalkwasser to maintain the level. calcium level keep droping even I use 2 teaspoon per gallon for one week. and recently I have just accidently over dose calcium chloride.. i got 520ppm of calcium. will it have side effect? and.. the kalkwasser doesn't do a good job in maintaining my calcium level but i raises my ph. it's about 8.6. can i use those freshwater pH minus to lower the ph level?

randy holmes-farley

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can i use those freshwater pH minus to lower the ph level?

No, don't use that.

What is the alkalinity level? Assuming that it is not especially high, then better aeration will lower the pH.

A consequence of high calcium can be low alkalinity. Again, without knowing it, it is hard to say whether the 500 ppm Ca++ is a concern or not.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: