• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
How do I test for electrical faulty equipment

Does anyone know how I can test all of my equipment to see if it's faulty and causing my outlets to arc? I have 8 GFCI outlets behind my tank which are on 2 separate dedicated lines in my panel. About 3 weeks ago they all just died for some reason which is weird because they are GFI's so I expect them to trip if something goes wrong. I didn't really get around to investigating it and just plugged everything into another outlet. Everything is not literally everything because I have a tank room so only the stuff near the tank get's plugged into an APEX EB8 and then into that outlet. Here's a list of what's plugged in.

4 x 400W hamilton ballasts for my lights

1 MP 60

3 Jebao WP40

2 72" Build my led actinic strips

Mocean's 3500 wave maker

As of 3 weeks ago I added an MP 40

last week I added 5 more actinic strips but these are 12"

Up until 3 weeks ago only the lights were plugged into my controller and all the power heads were on a DJ strip which was plugged into an outlet not into the APEX. When the outlets all burnt out I plugged the DJ strip into the APEX which was plugged into another outlet away from the tank. Even though I had those outlets behind the tank they were 15 amp outlets and when the MH would turn on they would trip. I was planning on having the outlets changed but never got around to it. So for the last year I had the apex power bar plugged into a wall outlets which was 3 feet away from the tank, and the DJ strip which ran low power power heads was plugged in behind the tank.

By process of elimination I would thing it's the mp40 that's faulty because it all happened when I plugged that in. However after I plugged everything into the APEX everything ran smooth for 3 weeks. I added 5 more led strips last week though. Was it the extra power being used or faulty equipment? Last night when the other outlet that the APEX was plugged into burnt out I plugged everything into another outlet with a long extension cord and that lasted 15 minutes and there went another one. I now have the cord going from a window down into my basement because I am out of outlets. I only have my mp60 plugged in. I can't take a risk since this is dangerous. For now it's lights out and an mp60 can keep them good for a while. Bare in mind my return pump, skimmers etc.. are all in the fish room which is fully operational (fingers crossed) for now.

I have my electrician coming tomorrow and he's going to swap out the outlets and also put in ARC fault breakers and just make sure everything is working. Outlets burning out and breakers not tripping is very serious and is a major fire hazard. My question is even after he fixes this how do I know what did it? One more interesting thing to know. The outlets behind the tank are on the same line as more outlets in the fish room and those GFI's are working and didn't even trip. Plus remember 2 separate lines and they both burnt out together.

Thanks,

Adam

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I dont think you have a problem with the equipment. first off do u have individual GFCI multiple outlets on the same circuit. If you do it depends how they are wired cause all you need is the first one and all other outlets on that same line become protected by it. My recomendation is that you should install reg outlets [i hope that its a 20 amp circuit so outlets have to match] and install a GFCI circuit breaker. GFCI around constant moisture cause problems and can hurt your equipment. Thats how mine is wired and never had any issue.Your gfci is tripping most likely on moisture

Adamc1303

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
35   0   0
I dont think you have a problem with the equipment. first off do u have individual GFCI multiple outlets on the same circuit. If you do it depends how they are wired cause all you need is the first one and all other outlets on that same line become protected by it. My recomendation is that you should install reg outlets [i hope that its a 20 amp circuit so outlets have to match] and install a GFCI circuit breaker. GFCI around constant moisture cause problems and can hurt your equipment. Thats how mine is wired and never had any issue.Your gfci is tripping most likely on moisture

Thanks but the gfci didn't trip it just burnt out and then all the regular outlets did as well.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
GFCI outlets are mad to protect you from a ground fault so the moisture is doing it cause its getting in the outlet directly so the device in the GFCI shorts out. A reg outlet dont behave the same thats why the gfci should be on the circuit brealer to that line. Thats how every pets store is wired. If you remove evreything install new heavy duty outlets [not home depot crap pls] and install GFCI breaker [again not home depot] your problem will go away. If you do this and the breaker trips then you have a ground fault on some equipment which I dont think it is.I have nothing against home depot but what they carry in electrical devices is not the same as electrcial store especially GFCI stuff.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: