Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I posted this thread 3 years ago and just found it. I wanted to re-post it because I thought it would be interesting and stir up some conversation:

I don't know everything and I don't want to. For me it is the challenge of the unknown that excites me and the more knowledge I get, the less challenge there is. If we knew how to definately cure ich with say a pill or eliminate hair algae in an hour how boreing would this hobby be.
The same thing happened just before fish keeping began in the 1800s. Women in England would collect ferns. And eventually their fern collections grew to include all of the ferns in Europe and there was nothing left to collect. They had all the knowledge there was to know about ferns, how to keep them, how to identify them etc. There was drawings of all the various varieties and their hobby stagnated as the thrill was gone. Then they started walking around in the shallow tide pools and started to collect marine sea creatures. That is how this hobby started.
But when we know how to cure everything, keep everything and raise everything there will not be any reason to get excited if your bangai cardinal spawns because it will be a normal, almost daily occurance.
When they build powerheads, lights, and skimmers to last forever it will be very boring, for me anyway as I love to experiment with new things.
I am sure that any time now there will be no need to dose as they will most likely make ASW with time release nutrients as they do with pills. Nitrates will most likely be eliminmated with some device like a catylic converter that removes pollutants from car exhausts.
So I think that if we feel we have a problem with something in our tank, we should view that is an exciting, learning experience and not a harbinger of doom as most people view it.
I personally like it when something goes wrong and I can find a way to fix it and discover ways to stop it from happening. I don't just want to view my perfect tank forever just the way it is with no changes and all the same creatures living forever. In my living room there is an 8' painting of an undersea scene. I may as well just stare at that.
People ask me all the time why I don't raise the fish that spawn in my tank. The answer is simple, I already raised a number of them so the thrill is almost gone. The first fish I raised were some blue devils. After the eggs were laid I would sit up all night with a flashlight waiting for the eggs to hatch. Then I would try to count them and feel really sad when I would lose some. I nursed them to adulthood and waited for them to spawn. It was a big thrill and an exciting time in the hobby for me, especially because that was way before the internet was invented so the few people I told about it were amazed. Now of course thousands of fish have been spawned and raised and written about so if it happens in your tank, very few people would even care. The more we do in this hobby or life in general, the less excited we get. It's just life. I still very much love this hobby but now my "goal" has changed. I no longer buy a fish to see how long I can keep it because I know how long (if at all) I can keep most fish. I know which corals I can and can't keep and the ones I want to keep. Many people in this hobby feel the pinnacle of success is a tank full of SPS. I also did, but now my interests have changed. I now go for oddities, unusual creatures we rarely see.
How do you feel about al this?

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Lol, you're an honorable, smart guy, who's done tons for the hobby, and willing to share your success with other members which in my eyes makes you kind and giving. With that said, if you want honesty, a part of me thinks you like hearing things like that about yourself, and that's why you started this thread, again.
People can change their mind, or their interests, but with the huge grey areas of info and success in this hobby... and all the types of fish and coral that have/need humongous room for improvements and knowledge before we can even dream of keeping. Or the amount of maintenance and time that is still required, even after all the improvements as of late..to say, been there, done that, need something to break so it's more challenging is silly.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
No matter how much time I have in the hobby, there is so much more to learn. There are so many corals I just can't keep and so many things I can't do, but my point was that in the beginning, when we start, there is so much to learn and so much that excites us. Things still excite me but every year it is less things. I made most of the mistakes already and unfortunately lost just about everything I could lose.
It is the same with life. I was lucky enough to travel to many places so if I go to those places again, it just doesn't have the same meaning. I used to go nuts at the thought of going to a new place and diving there. Everything we do in the beginning is an adventure, but it gets old after we do it.
Many of the tanks people keep on this and other forums are just fantastic and I am jealous of so many of them. There is so much talent on these forums that it is mind boggling. I am not sure how those people feel about their accomplishments. I would imagine if we could live for a few hundred years our life's would be boreing. I think that's why the very famous people such as Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston and Robin Williams are no longer with us. They had the means to do everything they wanted to do so life wasn't as important.
This was just something I figured would make some conversation. Nothing more and it was not meant to be about me.
It's like when we put men on the moon. I remember we were all hanging around our TVs waiting for news. It was the main focus of everything. Then the second time was not as exciting. The first shuttle launch was great, then the second, but after 5 or 6, we didn't pay attention any longer. The greatest thing about this hobby is that we can keep learning and lucky for us, we will never master it.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well i for one enjoy most trying to make aquariums as healthy, stable, and maintenance free as possible. Not only for me, but for livestock as well.
Also intrigued with getting to a point in the hobby that we can on some level mimic the mass spawning that takes place in the oceans at the full moon in August

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
That would be great. Re rarely think about how much the moon effects spawning's but I think we are just now learning about that.
That is one facet among many that I want to learn more about. I envy the Noobs in this hobby because they still have so much to discover.

theMeat

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
True, and with all the relatively recent advancements in lighting, nutrition, and better easier maintenance add up to better, more stable artificial environments. Seems like advancements are coming faster and faster. Like the more we learn the more we see. It's an exciting time to be in the hobby. No matter your age.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Yes it is. My age is such that I will probably be out of the hobby in 5 or 10 years. At that time, If I am still living, my wife and I will probably move and downsize. But I have had a wonderful life and this hobby has been a large part of it. I learned so much and still have so much to learn that fortunately I will never run out of interesting things to find out. It also kept me out of trouble for the most part.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: