New65Reefer

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a snail which hiked in with my LR. So he is small (less than 1/2") and has been in the tank since day one. I come home tonight and he is perched on the top of the rock, stretched upward and expelling a small amount of a white substance every 10 to 20 seconds or so. So can anyone tell me if this snail or his behavior is detrimental to my reef? I hope everyone can see the photo I've included below.

Thanks

18F01.jpg

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pic is quite fuzzy, but the white you're seeing is because the snail is spawning, if you have corals or other critters in your tank they're enjoying the meal.

Regards,
David Mohr

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by danmhippo:
david, do snail spawn (releasing sperm & egg) at such a small size?

You're better than me if you can gauge the size of that snail from that pic. ;-)
To answer your question, depending on the species of snail, yes they do.

Regards,
David Mohr

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by davidmohr:
<STRONG>You're better than me if you can gauge the size of that snail from that pic. ;-)
</STRONG><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

He he he he.....David, I think the original post indicated the size.....(less than 1/2")!!
icon_biggrin.gif

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Originally posted by danmhippo:

He he he he.....David, I think the original post indicated the size.....(less than 1/2")

Duh!!!!!!!!
I'm waiting for my new bi-focals, hopefully this week. :)

Regards,
David Mohr

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: