chargher

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking at my tank today which is in the process of recovering and just dont like it at all, landscape and everything just looks bad.

I am thinking two things, one I want to move everything to my cousins tank and start over by tanking out all the rocks and 2 fish and all snails and crabs, and starting the tank over, with ro water this time and actually taking time with the landscape which is one of my concerns.

or just leave everyone in there and try moving the rocks and fixing it up?

I def think I was moving too fast and its hard landscaping with a half circle tank, anyone here know much about cutting rock I want to really change the look of the tank.

I dont mean to sound like a baby about things but i was told top goal is to take your time and i feel like I rushed the whole process.

Just want to start over you know that feeling....

aznt1217

Forever Noob
Rating - 100%
191   0   0
You hit it right on the nose. Take your time. I am very impatient and want instant gratification =X. Anyway, it depends what you got in the tank. See points to ponder below.

--If you aquascape fully you can leave stuff in but there is a possibility of losing things. I lost my yellow tang of 4 months because he didn't like all the stuff getting stirred out and didn't handle some chemicals the coral excreted.

--Aquascaping with a half cylinder I am sure is difficult but then again I have a Corner tank and am faced with nearly the same situation, it's all a matter about personal preference.

--If you do go along with the transfer to your cousins tank make sure his parameters are good, but if I were you what I would do is temporarily place the fish in the bucket. Re-aquascaping shouldn't take that long, 1-2 Hours at most.

--To "cut" rock you just take a flat head screw driver and a mallet and start hammering away.

chargher

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
great

yea maybe putting them in a bucket will be the best bet, thanks.

You hit it right on the nose. Take your time. I am very impatient and want instant gratification =X. Anyway, it depends what you got in the tank. See points to ponder below.

--If you aquascape fully you can leave stuff in but there is a possibility of losing things. I lost my yellow tang of 4 months because he didn't like all the stuff getting stirred out and didn't handle some chemicals the coral excreted.

--Aquascaping with a half cylinder I am sure is difficult but then again I have a Corner tank and am faced with nearly the same situation, it's all a matter about personal preference.

--If you do go along with the transfer to your cousins tank make sure his parameters are good, but if I were you what I would do is temporarily place the fish in the bucket. Re-aquascaping shouldn't take that long, 1-2 Hours at most.

--To "cut" rock you just take a flat head screw driver and a mallet and start hammering away.

MatthewScars

Guns, Razors, Knives.
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
id set up a 20/30 gallon tank as a temp holding cell for the fish and inverts. Once that cycles and you add the fish, go nuts on the main tank. Start over, move stuff, whatever.

Then wait until your levels return to normal (id wait 2 weeks as not to stress the fish from moving too many times) and move the fish back.

As for rocks, I usually make my own shapes. Just get some getstuff foam and foam multiple peices together to get a cool look. Once it coralines over, you wont even see the foam.

arzep

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not a big fan of moving rocks too often. I have lost too many corals while doing this. once I like what I did set up - I try to stick with it as long as I can. the loses are too big during aquascaping.

NYreefNoob

Skimmer Freak
Rating - 100%
166   0   0
ive never lost anything during re-doing my rock, let alone the number of times i had to pull half or more of the rock out to catch a fish. run a canister filter with polish pad in the tank while re-doing rock work and do a wc after you met your goal. takng the fish out to a bucket or someone else's tank will stress them more then leaving them in

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: