Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
So yesterday I go to that big store where everyone goes for lumber, doors etc. I don't want to mention their name. I bought one of those new LED outside light fixtures for my deck. Very cool looking fixture. The price was listed as $29.00. So I bring it up to the front and the Lady rings it up. Now it is $44.00. OK, not a problem, still reasonable and I am used to this store so I am ready for that. By the way there are at least 5 of these stores with in 5 miles from my house. Maybe 7 stores. Anyway, I bring the thing home and hook it up. Turn on the power, cover the photocell so it thinks it's dark and ,,,,Nothing. I take it down, check my wiring, test the power, put it back up, turn it on and ,,,Nothing. So I smack it a few times and it flashes a little. I left it up all night in case it knew it was my hand in front of the photocell and was just messing with me. In the middle of the night I went out there and the thing was still out.
Today I took it down and brought it back for another one. I go to the returns counter and there are 5 people in front of me. There are 4 return counters but they only have one Lady working and I think she was standing in a vat of molasses or maybe in another time zone as I waited almost an hour. :headache: Finally, it's my turn. I say, it doesn't work. She asks me if I am sure I hooked it up correctly. I tell her I was a Master Electrician for 40 years. She says, That is not what I asked you. I go to the lighting dept and discover The store doesn't have any more of that light so I do the shuffle and go to 2 more of those stores and none of them have that same fixture so I get another model of LED light. This one is marked $39.00. I bring it up to the counter and now it is $89.00. :eek: I say, it is marked $39.99. She says it comes up as $89.00. OK I am not going to another store or picking out another fixture so I say. OK I will take it. Then I say do you do Veterans discounts? She says yes and asks to see my card. I show her my Veterans card and she says, "I am sorry sir but you have to be active service. I say, I am active, yesterday I rode my bicycle and the day before I went swimming. She says you have to be active in the military. Then she asks, "were you injured?" I say, Yes, figuring now they will give me the thing for free. She says, well Sir do you have the original bandages that they dressed your wounds with? I said it was 45 years ago. She says, "Well, It's not like we expect you to be still wearing them, we just want to see them". I said, no, I threw them out last Tuesday. :cool:
So I get the new fixture home, take it out of the box and see that someone already bought it and very neatly put it back in the box. I could see that the wires were already connected. No big deal, maybe they just didn't like the look. I get out my ladder, mount it, wire it, turn on the switch and ,,,,It lit. For a second. Then it started blinking and I got flashbacks from when I used to go to disco's in the 70s. But I don't want to dance, I just want to light up my deck. So it is back to the store. But that will be another day as tomorrow is Mother's day and I will dedicate it to my wife and I doubt she will take down the fixture for me and return it to the store. Oh and I am done with those stores. I will go to a real electrical supply as I should have done in the first place. ;)

Jlavine

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Sorry to hear.

Breaking long posts into smaller paragraphs with white space between will help it read easier.

Paul B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I think they should make "Man" Stores. No females allowed. (except for Supermodels that are just there to look at) We would buy whatever we wanted and throw it in shopping carts made out of diamond plate steel. Everything should have the price on it in big numbers written in a wide magic marker rounded off to the nearest dollar. No change. There also should be a plug near the door where we can plug in the thing to make sure it works, and if it doesn't we can smash it with a convenient sledge hammer that would be there for that purpose. Then there would be no checkouts. Just a bucket near the door where we will throw some money. Sometimes a little more and sometimes a little less than the stuff costs. That would be my kind of store. No waiting in a stupid line, no counting change, and no gabbing with the cashier. Just a fast in and out. I waste half my life in traffic or waiting in a silly line which is for Sissies.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: