tangs_in_pacifica

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought I'd post this, since I've seen a lot of ich questions and I've found this recipe useful.
Years ago, I struggled with hypo-salinity, quarantining, invert-killing chemicals, etc. to treat ich... usually, these approaches were unsuccessful. Often, for mild outbreaks, they seemed to cause much more stress, thereby accelerating the spread of the poarasite. Fortunately, a freind suggested garlic-soaked food. This has worked like a charm for mild infestations. Unfortunately, many fish cannot get to the food before the garlic is soaked out, or their tankmates have eaten it. This is an especially bad problem when a fish is sick with ich or other parasites. Thus, I've experimented with the following solution:

Garlic-Infused Live Brine Shrimp:

-Take some live brine shrimp and rinse them out with freshwater (You'll allways want to do this, as Brinies often carry parasites).
-Disgard the old freshwater and place the brinies a a small amount of new freshwater (i.e. 1 OZ of brine shrimp to a few teaspoons of water).
-Add a healthy portion of water-soluble garlic extract in with the shrimp (I'm not a scientist, so I don't know how much I add... usually about 1/6 the water volume)
-Let the shrimp soak in their freshwater-garlic solution for a while (I've let them sit for over 1/2 hr. with no apparent ill effects... don't know how long they'll last?)
-Feed the shrimp to your fish in small increments (i.e. ensure that your fish eat the shrimp, before they've shed the garlic)
-Watch the ich fall off and stay off
-*You may also want to experiment with things like Zoe, Vitamin C, etc. in the brinie water

Again, I've seen this work with ich for mild infestations. I've heard mixed reviews on more advanced infestations.

I usually feed my fish this recipe whenever I add a new fish to one of my tanks, or whenever there's been a major disruption (i.e. power outage)

Hope this helps

[ July 07, 2001: Message edited by: tangs_in_pacifica ]

Quillen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Think anyone would notice if I slipped this into my recipe index? I have Zoe, what does it to do to prevent ICH? I purchased it to soak food in (obviously).

Terry B

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you didn't succeed treating ich with hyposalinity then you didn't have it low enough or you used an inaccurate hydrometer.
What you are talking about doing with the brine shrmp is called Bioencapsulation. It's OK to rinse the brine shrimp but I would not keep them in FW for long. I usually keep my brine shrimp in FW for 15 to 30 minutes before feeding them to the fish. Brine shrimp are filter feeders. If you want them to consume a suffient amout of garlic then you should add garlic to the brine that you intend to use at least 6 hours prior to feeding the fish. From what I have seen garlic does seem to help, especially with light infections. However, it is far less consistantly effective than hyposalinity when the infection has advanced.
Terry B

Jazzcat

Active Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a bicolor blenny who has been scratching the rocks occassionally. He eats algae in the tank, so I don't feed him. Since I don't feed him, any ideas on how I could administer the garlic treatment? TIA.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: