KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
It does not have a good reputation from what I have heard over time and read.
Best thing you can do is keep your fish out of your Display for 6 - 8 weeks and whatever ich might still be in there will die with no host (fish) to attach too.

IMO Better off getting the appropriate sized QT tank for the inhabitants you already have.

Lionfish718

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I have used it. I quarantined my fish in a 10 gallon tank. Three days later they died. I still have the Ich in my tank. When I got new fish they got ich shortly after. As soon as I get my new tank and move my corals to it, I will treat it with copper. That is the only way to successfully get rid of it.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I have used it. I quarantined my fish in a 10 gallon tank. Three days later they died. I still have the Ich in my tank. When I got new fish they got ich shortly after. As soon as I get my new tank and move my corals to it, I will treat it with copper. That is the only way to successfully get rid of it.

Lionfish - what tank do you intend to treat with copper?? Not understanding your post entirely. Thxs

Lionfish718

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
I will treat the old tank. All I have to do is take everything out put it into the new tank and keep the fish (with the ich) in there. My new tank will only have coral. So if the ich gets transfered to the new tank it will die without host.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
I will treat the old tank. All I have to do is take everything out put it into the new tank and keep the fish (with the ich) in there. My new tank will only have coral. So if the ich gets transfered to the new tank it will die without host.

ok, thanks :)

So you are currently treating for ich with copper? What brand and are you using a copper test kit to be certain you have the proper level required to treat ich?

crxin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
well i was hoping to try it as another measure, from my reading it defiantley does not hurt corals or inverts. they say that ick can be killed while in its swimming state without a host. now that i have all my fish out and cured, it is still in my display. I was hoping to try it in there without hurting my inverts. I am new to the hobby and only have two very small corals.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
well i was hoping to try it as another measure, from my reading it defiantley does not hurt corals or inverts. they say that ick can be killed while in its swimming state without a host. now that i have all my fish out and cured, it is still in my display. I was hoping to try it in there without hurting my inverts. I am new to the hobby and only have two very small corals.

As suggested by others on this thread, the product is basically useless and might possibly make situations worse or give you a false sense of security.
Better not to use it and wait the suggested 6 - 8 weeks with no fish in the tank and the ick WILL be gone at that point.
Having patience in this hobby is rule # 1, now would be an excellent time to practice it ;)

..and always keep in mind that nothing good happens quickly in a reef tank!

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Quick Cure...No Ich....Ich Attack..and so on...toss them all in the trash (IMO)

Either use Copper to treat (Copper -Power is excellent) or use hyposalinity (not both at 1 time!).
Ich takes TIME to get rid of. Just because you don't see the cysts on the fish anymore does NOT mean the ich is gone..it only means THOSE cysts fell off the fish and are down in your substrate getting ready to reattach.

You will NOT 'see' the ich swimming around in your tank - it is too small, but just because you don't see it doesn't mean it is not in the reproduction stage, or not there at all. For the most part the ich you see on the outside of your fish is nothing compared to the amount of it in the fishes gills..where it does it's killing.

crxin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
understood, well so far so good I guess, I used only a little bit of that quick cure, and the spots did disappear like you said, and they stopped scratching. I doesd for three days. I only have two fish and they are now in seperate 10 gallon tanks and are doing much better. They are bare bottom tanks with just a little bit of rock in them. They both have a filter and an airstone.

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
BTW, did you miss this on the QuickCure:
WARNINGS
Do not use on: baby whales, Elephant Nose, shrimps, snails, living rock or invertebrates. For aquarium use only. Keep out of the reach of children. Do not use on fish intended for human consumption. Not for human or drug use. Do not exceed recommended dosage. May stain silicone sealant and aquarium decorations. If swallowed, seek medical attention immediately and take product label with you. This product contains a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
understood, well so far so good I guess, I used only a little bit of that quick cure, and the spots did disappear like you said, and they stopped scratching. I doesd for three days. I only have two fish and they are now in seperate 10 gallon tanks and are doing much better. They are bare bottom tanks with just a little bit of rock in them. They both have a filter and an airstone.

Good :) Since you seem to have things under control, you might want to try hyposalinity to get rid of the remaining ich.

Why did you put them into different tanks?

Please be sure not to use that rock in your DT again if you treat with any product with copper in it.

Yen

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Make sure you wait exactly 6 weeks or more as others suggested. I made that mistake, I waited only 4 weeks then moved them back. A week later, they got ich again!!! I had to bring them to the hospital tank for another 6 weeks. It's painful, but rewarding. The fish has long been back to the DT tank and very healthy now.

Don't forget to check ammonia and nitrite in the hospital tank regularly too.

Yen

crxin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
i have them in different tanks because i didnt want to crowd them into one, i only have two small 10 gallon tanks. I have one purple pseudochromis and one dragon goby.....

crxin

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
is there any time frame or anything i can do to re use this rock. i dont plan on ever putting it back in the dt tank, but i was just wondering if there was anything I could do for my own reference.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: