saggese820

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have been looking for rock to fill my 125 gal with, it doesnt have to be live, i am in no hurry. I was wondering if anyone knew the specific types of rock that would be most porous and beneficial to my tank. Any suggestions?

basiab

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
I am no expert but it seems that most of the Fiji rock and other similar places are very porous. The carribean rock seems to be more solid and less porous which means you need more pounds of it to take up the same space as porous rock. I am not sure about the rock they sell as base rock if that is just because it has less life and color or if it is also less porous.

Then there is another issue which is how much life you will get on it. And that will depend on how long it is out of water before you get it.

Bob 1000

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
122   0   0
Beneficial I say Aragocrete.. Also benefits the reefs in the oceans,,lol.. I have used it for years and never had a low ph problem when I remembered to add new rocks when the old was stabilized enough that the ph wasn't staying high.. But you can't use a tank full of these rocks all at once.. As it will push the ph to around 9.5, 10.5.. I have done this with no ill affects on fish but never on a reef for about a year..

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: