jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Recenty i have noticed a bloom of this brown algae. Its not like normal hair algae and seems to branch.

This stuff is kn the rocks and glass. I have never seen algae grow on glass that was more advanced than hair algae.

If anyone can help id this and tell me if its anything worse than some nuisance algae it'd be appreciated

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByReefs1361223105.675510.jpg
    ImageUploadedByReefs1361223105.675510.jpg
    160.6 KB · Views: 135
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Brown is usually diatom algae and red is cyanobacteria

-How old is this tank?
-What are your levels
Nitrates
Phosphates
-Are you using rodi water
-how much are you feeding
-how many water changes are you doing a month
-what lighting are you using and how long are they on

Spill the beans :)

Last edited:

jaBX1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Brown is usually diatom algae and red is cyanobacteria

-How old is this tank?
-What are your levels
Nitrates
Phosphates
-Are you using rodi water
-how much are you feeding
-how many water changes are you doing a month
-what lighting are you using and how long are they on

Spill the beans :)

The tank is relativly new, started cycle in june and added my first livestock in December (yes long cycle period, but i started w/ dry rock and this im a student).
The initial diatom bloom came and went about 2 weeks ago, finally thought it was over when this stuff popped up. maybe from frags placed into tank, i dipped but w lugols solution.

phosphates- 0.08- 0.16ppm,
nitrates- 4ppm
mg- 1200 (as of feb 9)
alk- 9.8
Cal- 500

I use rodi water- 0 TDS

i do not feed much at all, only two fish right now so maybe a 1/8 cube of mysis/day. only recently started target feeding some lps (not much)

i tend to do a 4-5 gal wc weekly

my lighting is a 120W led fixture. blues -11:30am-930pm whites- 1230-9

for the last two days i have tried to do complete darkness, but my corals seemed upset so i gave them about an hr or two of light.

petraio

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
one thing for sure if you start manual removal of it make sure to have a good uv lighting on the tank that would help reduce the spread of algae shut off power head when removing it from rocks use a filter sock to catch any flouting micro algae use the kent Magnesium as suggested already make sure to have enough don't run out of it that would only allow the algae to catch up ! bring magnesium up to 1700 and keep there until trace of algae are gone be patient not something to solve in a week some naso tang can eat it !! but not guarantee i got one and did eat it !!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: