skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
OK, so here is what I am thinking about... I know that there has to be a few cyclists here in the metro area... So what type of locks do you use on your bikes to keep them secured?

I use an Abus Bordo lock as well as a Kryptonite cable lock for the frame/seat/rear wheel... The Abus Bordo is a nice folding lock which comes with a holder that you can mount to the water bottle screws... This thing is solid and if need be makes a great weapon.

NYC Joe

Seahorses yea!
Rating - 100%
117   0   0
Kryptonite 997986 Black 18mm New York Fahgettaboudit U-Lock
Kryptonite and the
KRYPTONITE NEW YORK CITY CHAIN LOCK, 39 IN.

Even then they'll still get your bike if they want it.

Check out videos of people stealing Bikes in high traffic areas on YouTube.

tunicata

Tunicate Tamer
Rating - 100%
163   0   0
See this is why I am so worried about getting a non-cheapo bike that simply "works good enough".

A friend of mine had a $800 comfort bike with tons of accessories (awesome seat, carriage, etc). locked up with a big Kyrptonite lock. Stolen 3 months later.

I think I should resign myself to the under $150 bikes from kmart as they will still get me to and from.

I just watched a youtube vid of someone breaking the Abus Bordo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDgI_KL7n4o

skene

Winter. Time for Flakes..
Rating - 100%
240   0   0
I just watched a youtube vid of someone breaking the Abus Bordo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDgI_KL7n4o

When it comes down to someone going all out to steal a bike and bring out an angle grinder, then there is not one chain, lock or anything else that would deter someone with the ability to cut through one like that.
Once again though I am sure that the chances that thieves would bring out an angle grinder to cut a bike lock would be that very rare occasion.... That would be the only way that I have viewed to open up an Abus Bordo or Kryptonite anything though.

Tuni, if you do too much worrying about things, then you would never even get out of bed. Purchase a used bike, that way it alleviates the cost and worries from purchasing new.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: