budddman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Currently switching out the sump under my 50gal reef ready with middle overflow. My drain is pvc, im going to need to switch to a hose to reach my first chamber in my 20gal long sump.

First question, would rigid hose be better to use then flex hose (grey hose that comes with many wet/dry sumps) as a drain line since flex hose has all the accordion ridges in it? which im guessing may slow down the drain flow.

Secondly, how would you attach flex hose to pvc fittings?

Any tips on silencing a hosed drain line(i do have durso, and at the moment have a T fitting with different sized holes on either side which is working well on my current pvc drain)?

Also i will be implementing a dsb in the fuge, with sugar sized sand, hopefully in the 4inch depth range. When i seed it with a few cups of live sand should it be placed on top of the dsb or underneath?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Reefs

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
Currently switching out the sump under my 50gal reef ready with middle overflow. My drain is pvc, im going to need to switch to a hose to reach my first chamber in my 20gal long sump.

First question, would rigid hose be better to use then flex hose (grey hose that comes with many wet/dry sumps) as a drain line since flex hose has all the accordion ridges in it? which im guessing may slow down the drain flow.

Secondly, how would you attach flex hose to pvc fittings?

Any tips on silencing a hosed drain line(i do have durso, and at the moment have a T fitting with different sized holes on either side which is working well on my current pvc drain)?

Also i will be implementing a dsb in the fuge, with sugar sized sand, hopefully in the 4inch depth range. When i seed it with a few cups of live sand should it be placed on top of the dsb or underneath?

1- Rigid hose. Lose the accordion hose
2- stainless steel hose clamps (assuming these are above the water line).Out of the PVC fitting, attach (glue) a small section of the same sized PVC pipe, and attach the hose onto there with a hose clamp
3- I didn't follow that?
4- on top of the 4" sand

budddman

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
thanks for the help kathy, what i meant with #3 is that some people have problems with the gurgling noise where their drain empties into the sump. With my old setup(hard line pvc) i had to put a T fitting on the end of my drain pipe to quiet/slow down the gurgleing. The T fitting i used had one small opening and one large(same size as drain pipe opening) and i found this useful to quiet things down. However now with the rigid hose idea im wondering if there is anything i can do to mod the end of the hose should i run into such problem but i guess i could always re use that fitting since it worked in the past.

KathyC

Rating - 100%
200   0   0
thanks for the help kathy, what i meant with #3 is that some people have problems with the gurgling noise where their drain empties into the sump. With my old setup(hard line pvc) i had to put a T fitting on the end of my drain pipe to quiet/slow down the gurgleing. The T fitting i used had one small opening and one large(same size as drain pipe opening) and i found this useful to quiet things down. However now with the rigid hose idea im wondering if there is anything i can do to mod the end of the hose should i run into such problem but i guess i could always re use that fitting since it worked in the past.

...ah, I understand now, thanks for clearing it up for me :)
You could also have it drain into a filter sock as that will also help with the noise.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: