Alfredo De La Fe

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I have been looking at the latest offerings on eBay and cant help but notice several inexpensive fixtures hitting the market. While they have low output, I see some reviews claim that by using multiple fixtures they can keep softies and LPS corals. (i.e.: The Marineland Double Bright LED fixtures)

What color temperature is the output on these? I'm wondering if these would be a good alternative for a 40 breeder. (I am seriously considering selling off the contents of my 180- too expensive to maintain)

Alfred

xobklynqt143

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 98%
49   1   0
this is what i have
http://www.ebay.com/itm/CREE-72w-Wa...098?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b2f81702

the light is OK however the dimmer part (the 2nd photo of that box) it gets extremely hot (117degrees i tested it with a water thermometer) i've had this light about 2 months so i cant really say how the corals are growing i do have LPS and softies i had 2 sps but they browned out im not sure if it was my fault for where i put it or what but it happened within 1 full day

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try the cree brick i have one of those on my 29g. Separate dimmer and power cord for the white and blues. Contact wingo he is a vendor here. He might be able to answer your questions :)

Imbarrie

PADI Dive Inst
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I bought some cheap LEDs two years ago, they are the 1 watt LED 120 watt units in the black rectangle. I knew I was upgrading the tank and I wanted something I could add to if I bought a longer tank. I think they are fine and Im currently using them on my 150 gallon but this tank is 30" high so I would rather get the 3w units for this tank.
I used to have them on my 18" high 75 gallon and I had SPS growing at all levels. Mostly montis and birdsnest, I also had a acro growing really well until I added a clown goby. The GBTA loved them and trippled in size in a year.
My 150 is only a couple months in and was initially fine, though I am currently working around a phosphate issue from some live rock. So I am not sure what the long term utilization will be.

The problems I see with cheap LEDs is getting the right ones and the warranty repair should they fail. For these reasons I am seriously considering the Wingo LEDs.

Last edited:

Ariel110G

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
47   0   0
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
I have been looking at the latest offerings on eBay and cant help but notice several inexpensive fixtures hitting the market. While they have low output, I see some reviews claim that by using multiple fixtures they can keep softies and LPS corals. (i.e.: The Marineland Double Bright LED fixtures)

What color temperature is the output on these? I'm wondering if these would be a good alternative for a 40 breeder. (I am seriously considering selling off the contents of my 180- too expensive to maintain)

Alfred

I would stay away from the Marineland Double Bright or Reef fixtures. I have heard of overheating and LED's burning out. Hope this helps.

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: