dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
I noticed some red bugs on my tri color acro.. I did an iodine dip using Lugol's solution. Followed directions..40 drops to one gallon of tank water, about 12min dip time. The red bugs are gone but the coral looks bleached out, pretty sure i lost it.

WTF!

What did i do wrong??
:irked:

ecvernon

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
170   0   0
Coral

could be possible coral got stressed and bleached a little cause of the dip. i used tropic marine pro cure dip and its very harsh on coral. after i dipped them i had to let the color of the acros come back, takes a while but it did come back.

instead of using iodine based solution imma try using two little fishies coral revive. many people say they use it and it does not stress the coral as badly as some of the iodine based dips

Dre

Rating - 100%
243   0   0
Next time check with the member on M.F FIRST SOME of us are well informed, knowledgeable and experieced .

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
This is a link to the website i found this treatment on:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=351

"
th_438400_19687D.jpg
Dip the Acropora into a concentrated iodine and aquarium water mixture for approximately 15 minutes using a clean plastic container. Lugol's solution is the preferred iodine base for this procedure, along with other commercially available coral dips, such as Reef Dip by SeaChem. "

Guess somebody needs to tell these guys there are DEAD wrong...

Awibrandy

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
This is a link to the website i found this treatment on:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/general/general.cfm?general_pagesid=351

"
th_438400_19687D.jpg
Dip the Acropora into a concentrated iodine and aquarium water mixture for approximately 15 minutes using a clean plastic container. Lugol's solution is the preferred iodine base for this procedure, along with other commercially available coral dips, such as Reef Dip by SeaChem. "

Guess somebody needs to tell these guys there are DEAD wrong...

I use this all the time, and it has never killed any of my animals.;) But again as already stated here it is not for "red bugs".
BTW, I never leave a coral in it for more then 10 min., and then I rinse said coral 3 times in 3 different containers with water from the tank.;)

fali

need tank crash insurance
Rating - 100%
70   0   0
Hey guys! How have you all been!!!?? Just to chime in but the seachem reefdip is the only product i use for red bugs and it does work and i had great results from it. The problem is you kill the bugs on the coral but you don't kill the bugs still wandering around in the tank. So after you dip the coral in the seachem, you must temporarily place the coral in a separate tank for a couple of weeks so the red bugs in the display tank starve to death!!!!! Just my $2.

Rating - 97.4%
74   2   0
Unless you remove every single Acropora from your system and dip and QT all of them in a separate tank for several weeks, you are not likely to eradicate the bugs and they will return. The only proven way to combat them in -tank is with Interceptor.

Iodine based dips are quite harsh, and while they can be used effectively for a host of things, many times the treatment is worse than the disease. For general coral cleaning, prophylactic dipping, Coral Revive is much less stressful.

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Update on this... acro may recover! i decided not to get rid of it even though it looked bleached.. yesterday i noticed several polys were starting to come out. This thing may have just been severly shocked. It still has VERY little color but seeing a few polyps gives my hope that it may come back.

No sign of red bugs at all, and none on any other corals.

Ill still use interseptor from now on! :)

juiceguy

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Iodine dips are very harsh on sps but they do tend to recover from it. coral revive and coral rx are great prophylactic remedies and are a lot less harsh on the coral. interceptor is the in-tank treatment that does harm any corals but will kill off any shrimp, crabs and snails in your tank.

dsgray16

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 100%
37   0   0
Update: Acro is still alive but redbugs have returned.

Where do i get Interceptor (vet, or store?) and how is it safely dosed?

Above post suggests its is dangerous for inverts.. is this true?

Thanks!

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: