John

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 85.7%
12   2   0
I dont know if anyone is familiar with IRC or not but I think creating an IRC chat for Manhattan Reefs on a large server that already exists would be a great Idea seeing How noone uses the "chat" function on the site. IRC information can be found at www.mirc.com if anyone needs any help configuring it I would be more than happy to assist but I think its a great way to talk to people in real time instead of posting back and forth through PMs when you need to relay a message to someone. We can make our own Room and I even think I still have a script on my machine here for replacing the chat now with a javascript that will connect you to the IRC server via the page.

John

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 85.7%
12   2   0
Ohh come on. You do everything else, bargain hunt, double black diamonds, post here 300 times a day You cant get into IRC? Plus im sure if everyone else tagged along you would open up to the world of internet relay chat ;x

Deanos

Old School Reefer
Rating - 100%
194   0   0
I'm confused (alot today)...if noone is using the chatroom conveniently accessed through MR's home page, why would they use IRC, which is definitely not newbie-friendly?

John

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 85.7%
12   2   0
I thought the reason noone used the html chat was basiclly due to way it worked, with refreshing and what not. I cant see how people would rather post than idle in a chat and talk to someone. But I don't know.

herman

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I dont use chatrooms for one simple reason. Too many people and too messy. People are going off topic in all directions and people dont think about their responses. If you want people to use the MR chat forum just schedule a chat with a specific topic and people will show up.

As for me chats are a no go. If I want something happening in realtime I prefer a webcast.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I'm waiting for the day all chats are via video, and we will have MR hosted video conferencing. how's that for confusing, who talks first?

for now AIM works for me.

jhale

ReefsMagazine!
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I've not bought an isight yet, but now would be a good time.
I can get one for my laptop and one for home. my gf can point it at my tank
while I'm gone :)

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
ive used irc and its def. not gonna be newbie friendly.. and one thing were i 2nd what deanos said if they dont use the chat here why would they use something more complex. i dunno but it dont make any sense to me. well im gonna go to sleep for work tom. early.

NITE EVERYONE

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: