Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Just got back from Florida with a fish I cot while scuba diving. Please help to identify, is it a triggerfish or a file fish and what kind. Thanks ahead for help.

Attachments

• IMG_5703.jpg
    IMG_5703.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_5715.jpg
    IMG_5715.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 0
  • Trigerfish 04-09-2021.jpg
    Trigerfish 04-09-2021.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 0
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
Thanks everyone who responded to my post. It is indeed a beautiful fish, at least for now. I suspected that it is not reef safe, but I only keep zoas. mushrooms and gorgonians. This far it shows no interest in them and I hope it will stay this way. To the question how did I got it on the plane, I did not brake any rules, I place it in jar with 3/4 filled with ocean water and checked in with my luggage. I did not cross USA border so it's all legal I have done it many times. Last month I got a lionfish same way. Maybe someone remember my post about how to start lionfish eat in the fish tank. Again THANKS to everyone again.

Ron_Vas

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks everyone who responded to my post. It is indeed a beautiful fish, at least for now. I suspected that it is not reef safe, but I only keep zoas. mushrooms and gorgonians. This far it shows no interest in them and I hope it will stay this way. To the question how did I got it on the plane, I did not brake any rules, I place it in jar with 3/4 filled with ocean water and checked in with my luggage. I did not cross USA border so it's all legal I have done it many times. Last month I got a lionfish same way. Maybe someone remember my post about how to start lionfish eat in the fish tank. Again THANKS to everyone again.
Just curious how big the jar was? I know they allow a certain type of fluid/liquid capacity on certain things. I honestly wanna try it myself next time I go out Hawaii or something.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Every time I return from Florida, I send the flat rate box, priority mail back to myself, (to save the check in airport fee). Unfortunately, the hermit crabs, snails and urchins always arrived cooked 3 days later, so next time, I'm getting an insulated box ready and will insert a frozen bottle of water. I'm not sure I want to mail back to myself again though. But if the check in doesn't have any water/liquid/ limitations that could be an option for me. Then again, for the check in fee, I can just over night the package to myself. decisions, decisions.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0
There is no limit on the jar size for check in. Just make sure you pack fish at the last moment before you leave to the airport. The jar should not be completely filled with water, I would say filled 3/4. Do not feed fish before transport for a few days, this way no fish fesses in the water. As far as the snails and hermit crabs I wet the small towel in the sea water, place hermits in towel and towel in the jar. Done this many times, 3-6 hours transportation easy. Hope this will help, happy hunting and good luck with transportation.

DanD10514

Experienced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no limit on the jar size for check in. Just make sure you pack fish at the last moment before you leave to the airport. The jar should not be completely filled with water, I would say filled 3/4. Do not feed fish before transport for a few days, this way no fish fesses in the water. As far as the snails and hermit crabs I wet the small towel in the sea water, place hermits in towel and towel in the jar. Done this many times, 3-6 hours transportation easy. Hope this will help, happy hunting and good luck with transportation.
where in FL were you at? I have a one week planned in Key West for late June and want to see if I can bring anything back

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: