• Why not take a moment to introduce yourself to our members?

JFish1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I received this as a super male australian scott's fairy wrasse from ffexpress and it doesn't look like any scott's wrasse that I have seen in pictures...the easiest difference is the lack of the red orange spot on the side of the fish...Let me know what you all think. I was told there is someone here who specializes in wrasses.

wrasse1.JPG

wrasse2.JPG

wrasse3.JPG

wrasse4.JPG

These are the best shots I could get of this camera shy fish. It seems very healthy and active...eats like a hog everytime I feed. I think it is gorgeous just wondering if it is infact a scott's fairy wrasse.

Thanks for your help,

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if that is fish you were looking for, but it sure is a pretty fish!

What book (I assume that the pictures you have seen are in books) are the pictures that you are referring too in? Please give book name and page number.

Thanks!

Louey

danmhippo

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yours certainly looks like Cirrhilabrus scottorum. I know that the female of the Cirrhilabrus's are less vibrant as the male counter part. Most website photos of scott's wrasse are male for it's orange blot on the sides. Maybe the one you have is the female.

I will let the experts solve that question for you.

JFish1

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't have a specific book but I am just refering to any picture I have seen on the internet for these fish. I was told by FFExpress this:

I’ve shown your pictures of the Super Male Scott’s Fairy Wrasse to my Live Stock Manager. He said you indeed received the correct fish, and that the red spot you were referring to is not a species identifying mark, rather just a coloration that some might have and some don’t. For your review you may also look at a book called the Fairy & Rainbow Wrasses and their relatives by Rudie H. Kuiter. If you look at page 44 there are about 3 pictures of male Scott’s Fairy Wrasses with no red spot and close to the same coloration you have received.

I haven't gotten a definate answer from anyone yet though,

hcs3

Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, that is a scotts.

as with most scotts, it will lose coloration the longer it is in captivity. without a female(s) being present, it has no reason to display supermale coloration.

HTH

henry

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: