A

Anonymous

I've avoided getting any Acans for a while now because of their high cost, and because I probably have too much flow in my mainly SPS tank. Yesterday I found some great deals and picked up a couple of small colonies, so now I'm wondering how much flow these guys can handle. Take a look at this video and tell me what you think. Also, I'd like to know if there are any telltale signs that an Acan is getting too much flow, ie. what to look for etc. Many Thanks!

Click here for the video

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Len.

I have over 6,000 GPH flowing in my 48 gallon tank. All of it is diffuse, random flow thanks to the Tunze Nanostreams. Nevertheless it IS a lot of flow. I'm afraid their current position is as low-flow as it gets in there. If I decide that they won't be able to handle it, then I'll need to give them away.

Let me post a second video of the second colony and see what you think.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Craig,

I had a couple of small colonies (about the same size initially) in my last tank (a 90g with 2x Tunze streams). They seemed to do OK in the bit of the tank they were in (the opposite side of the tank to the return pump (a Mag 9) and one of the streams, though the stream flow bounced off one of the sides first). Could you not tuck them behind a piece of LR that juts into the flow slightly? Maybe under an overhang on the sand bed? If you have MHs, that might suit their lighting preferences a bit better as well.

BTW, do you have a tank thread? If not, I think you should get one. I need some new material to drool over. :P

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks a lot for your input Tom.

I suppose, reluctantly, there are a couple places where I could tuck them in next to some LR on the sand bed which might be a marginally more sheltered from the flow (and light). My reluctance is because I try to keep most corals attached to the LR, and not lying on the sand, mainly for my own selfish, shallow, reasons. I'm trying to keep the tank looking 'clean', and find it looks nicer without many corals on the sand. And to be honest, the flow down there is only slightly lower.

I don't have a tank thread. Not yet anyway, but I'll try to put one up soon. The tank itself is small, but by my favorite manufacturer: Amano (ADA). ADA probably has a special place in your heart, too. :)

Anyway, here's a short video of the second colony.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could you tuck them a bit further in? Hard to tell without knowing what the rocks they're encrusted on are shaped like, but it looked like the second one could be moved a bit deeper into that little valley. Is the first one on the right as you pull back, btw? Because it looks like it might fit under the overhang it's currently sitting above.

I like the look of your clean lines, btw, and see what you're trying to go for. It's going pretty well on that basis as well. Maybe try to find a space for the Acans and, if it doesn't work out, exchange/sell them? They may just not be suited to your tank, with that amount of flow and MHs, particularly given it's relatively small and there is therefore little refuge from the decent amounts of flow you have.

Was that a snowflake eel I saw? A bit too white to be that maybe, but looked intriguing...

I'd really like to see a tank thread, but don't let me rush you into one. People without aquariums can be a bit of a pain sometimes, saying "photos, photos" Mutley style and I'm one of the worst, just ask Tracy. :wink:

ADA stuff is very nice, but also very pricey. I kind of went off it a bit on that basis. :lol:

Ben1

Advanced Reefer
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 vortechs in my tank on oppisiste pulses, running full stream and my acans on the bottom are totally fine. That said it does look like yours is getting a bit more flow then mine is in there.

Good luck to you.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are moving quite a bit, but they are both fully extended. I would leave them where they are. If they start to suffer I would move them.

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all of the input guys. I think at this point I'll leave them where they are and just closely monitor them.

The Escaped Ape":2umxsz47 said:
Is the first one on the right as you pull back, btw? Because it looks like it might fit under the overhang it's currently sitting above.
Yes, I think it could fit under that overhang, but the flow down there is no less. The lighting would be a little dimmer though.

Was that a snowflake eel I saw? A bit too white to be that maybe, but looked intriguing...
It's a golden dwarf moray. It's a great 'fish'...easily my favorite.

I'd really like to see a tank thread, but don't let me rush you into one. People without aquariums can be a bit of a pain sometimes, saying "photos, photos" Mutley style and I'm one of the worst, just ask Tracy. :wink:
Ha ha, OK...I've really been meaning to post one. I think the new RDO makeover may inspire me to take some pictures.

ADA stuff is very nice, but also very pricey. I kind of went off it a bit on that basis. :lol:
Yes, far too pricey. I am a fan of rimless tanks though. (Actually, all of my saltwater tanks have been rimless/canopy-less.) They were easy to find in Taiwan, but here in the US there are very few options for them, so I was forced to buy a tank imported from Japan. :lol:

A

Anonymous

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now I have a public commitment to a tank thread! I'm going to treat that as a campaign pledge if you don't mind, and give you hell if it's not delivered in the space of a week. :P

I know what you mean about rimless tanks. I had one in Tokyo, also without a canopy. I prefer the cleaner lines, and the more open view you get of the tank.

Here's my old tank.

file.php

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: