A

Anonymous

Hello all. I ordered some teacup caulerpa from FFE, which came on a piece of rock along with several living non-plant things, one of which was a small, black, dime-sized, flat, slimy. It was wedged up in a crevice in the rock and I couldn't get a good look at it, and once the rock was in the tank, it vanished. This was 2 months ago and I forgot all about it. Last night, when the actinics were on, it appeared. It is black, flat, and slug-like, without a shell. It has 2 long feelers and a tube-shaped mouth, both features which are very, very similar to my abalone. It was going along on the rock slowly eating, taking its sweet time, and it recoiled quite violently from the flashlight. I didn't see any color on it, but the first time I noticed it on the caulerpa rock, I sure thought it had a bright orange circle on its back, but when I looked at the rock again a few minutes after seeing it the first time, the orange circle was not there. I was unable to see it's entire body last night, so I don't know if there was any color on it, but I don't think so. Anyone have any ideas?

A

Anonymous

Yes, you're right! It's also called an elephant limpet, <i>scutus unguis</i>! A friend identified it for me today.

Thanks,
Sherri J.
Cakepro

Sponsor Reefs

We're a FREE website, and we exist because of hobbyists like YOU who help us run this community.

Click here to sponsor $10: